Author Topic: Help file bring up Capture NX2!  (Read 8550 times)

Offline Frank

• View Profile
    • Frank Fitzpatrick Photography
Help file bring up Capture NX2!
« on: November 29, 2010, 02:28:26 PM »
I have just tried to use the help file and came across somthing very odd. I clicked on the help button and it brought up Capture NX2 which I use for my editing! I can still use PM and Capture and flit between them both as required.

At present I am also having a problem with Capture help files. When I try to bring them up I get a message "Can't load file 30_00 html". Experiencing other issues with Capture which Nikon support are trying to resove. Would the two issues be linked in some way?

Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Help file bring up Capture NX2!
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 02:58:50 PM »
Frank,

I have just tried to use the help file and came across somthing very odd. I clicked on the help button and it brought up Capture NX2 which I use for my editing! I can still use PM and Capture and flit between them both as required.

You clicked on the 'help button' where?  In Photo Mechanic?  If so, what part of PM?

Quote from: Frank
At present I am also having a problem with Capture help files. When I try to bring them up I get a message "Can't load file 30_00 html". Experiencing other issues with Capture which Nikon support are trying to resove. Would the two issues be linked in some way?

With the limited information you've provided, I cannot even guess.  What OS are you running?  What versions of PM and NX are you running?

-Kirk

Offline Frank

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 10:15:23 PM »
Sorry Kirk for the lack of information.

I am using PM 4.6.6 and I clicked on Help on the top bar then Photo Mechanic Help.

Using Capture NX 2 version 2.2.6

OS is Windows 7 Pro with 4Gb memory

Hope this helps

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 11:17:11 PM »
Sorry Kirk for the lack of information.

I am using PM 4.6.6 and I clicked on Help on the top bar then Photo Mechanic Help.

Using Capture NX 2 version 2.2.6

OS is Windows 7 Pro with 4Gb memory

Hope this helps

That command tells the system to open an HTML file with whatever application is associated with opening HTML files.  Perhaps you have associated Capture NX2 with HTML files?

-Kirk

Offline Frank

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 03:29:54 AM »
So, can I disassociate it? As you will appreciate my technical knowledge is limited.

Offline Frank

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 04:00:27 AM »
Hi Kirk

I had a look in the directories containing Photo Mechanic and Capture. Nikon files are in Photo Mechanic directory and Photo Mechanic files are in the Nikon directory. Cannot undertsand how this came about.

I think that I am better uninstalling both programs and then re loading them to start from scratch. Which should I install first Mechanic or Capture? Or does it not matter which?

Nikon have a piece of software called Regsweeper which cleans out all files, cache etc, before re installing. Is there anything in particular I should do regarding Photo Mechanic?

Thanks again for your patience.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 06:39:32 AM »
Frank,

I had a look in the directories containing Photo Mechanic and Capture. Nikon files are in Photo Mechanic directory and Photo Mechanic files are in the Nikon directory. Cannot undertsand how this came about.

I think that I am better uninstalling both programs and then re loading them to start from scratch. Which should I install first Mechanic or Capture? Or does it not matter which?

Nikon have a piece of software called Regsweeper which cleans out all files, cache etc, before re installing. Is there anything in particular I should do regarding Photo Mechanic?

Thanks again for your patience.

Since your original issue is just an HTML file association issue, all you should have to do is open up a Windows Explorer window, navigate to a .htm or .html file, right-click on it, choose 'Properties' and then pick a different program to open the file with (like Firefox, or Internet Explorer).  That should solve the help file launching issue.

As for the other issue you've just now reported, what are the filename extensions of the files that you appear to have a 'cross contamination problem'?  If it is easier, feel free to post a JPEG screenshot illustrating the problem.  You can use the 'Additional Options...' link while you're composing your reply to choose and upload your JPEG screenshot.

-Kirk

Offline Frank

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 12:32:44 PM »
The files have an extension .html. In the Capture folder they all have a icon for Capture NX2. I tried clicking on a file that was supposed to be related to PM help file and it started  Capture NX2.

Very confused by all this!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 01:32:19 PM »
Frank,

The files have an extension .html. In the Capture folder they all have a icon for Capture NX2. I tried clicking on a file that was supposed to be related to PM help file and it started  Capture NX2.

Very confused by all this!

You need to follow my instructions, which I will reiterate here:

1) Open up a Windows Explorer window, navigate to a .htm or .html file.
2) Right-click on it, choose 'Properties' from the contextual menu.
3) Pick a different program to open the file with (like Firefox, or Internet Explorer).

That should solve the help file launching issue.

-Kirk

Offline Frank

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2010, 01:09:52 AM »
Followed your instructions exactly and it worked. Help file etc is now working fine as is the rest of PM.

Many thanks again for your patience and understanding.

Kind regards

Frank

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2010, 01:28:20 AM »
Frank,

Followed your instructions exactly and it worked. Help file etc is now working fine as is the rest of PM.

Many thanks again for your patience and understanding.

You're welcome, and I'm glad you got it sorted out.

-Kirk