Author Topic: Licensing and useage  (Read 9105 times)

Offline Willow

• View Profile
    • Anaspides Photography
Licensing and useage
« on: November 23, 2008, 01:59:22 AM »
Hi

I am about to purchase PM.

I wish to use it on my desktop  and laptop.

Do I have to buy two copes of PM or can I use PM on both computers?

I am a private individual and not a company.  Thanks.....Iain

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Licensing and useage
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 05:25:16 PM »
Iain,

I am about to purchase PM.

I wish to use it on my desktop  and laptop.

Do I have to buy two copes of PM or can I use PM on both computers?

I am a private individual and not a company.  Thanks.....

You can use it on two computers as long as each copy is not in use at the same time.  You can't have two people using both copies at the same time.

-Kirk

Offline DeucePhoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Deuce Photo
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 04:43:04 PM »
I am getting a new laptop and will be moving my copy of PM 4.5.4 from the old to the new one.
do I need to de-activate my current installation on my old laptop before I activate it on the new laptop?

Thanks
Eric

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 07:46:31 PM »
Eric,

I am getting a new laptop and will be moving my copy of PM 4.5.4 from the old to the new one.
do I need to de-activate my current installation on my old laptop before I activate it on the new laptop?

No, there is currently no deactivation procedure.  Go ahead and install it on your new system.

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 04:36:18 AM »
I bought Photo Mechanic for my private (and my business) use. Can I install and use it on a company computer I use at work? My bosses are afraid of a legal breach with installing a software purchased by me for my use not by the company I work for. So I'm not allowed to use PM for company purposes during my work which is a gread disadvantage.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline DeucePhoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Deuce Photo
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008, 09:03:18 PM »
Eric,

No, there is currently no deactivation procedure.  Go ahead and install it on your new system.

-Kirk

Thanks

Offline adrianlambert

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 04:06:07 AM »
Go ahead and install it on your new system.
-Kirk

I just replaced my laptop HD, restoring from the old one using time machine. My boss is in a similar situation, he had a HD fail a few months ago and had done the same. I am now unable to activate our multi-user PM licence on my laptop due to the licence being "over activated".

This has certainly been a fair bit of a hassle especially as I realised this just as i was starting a shoot, standing in front of a client, and couldn't contact you because I'm on the other side of the world in another time zone.

I've since read about this on the forum and web site and now understand the reasons for this level of protection although i think being able to manually deactivate as per Capture One or Photoshop should have been put in place first for this kind of security model.

I am now waiting for someone to get back to me to let me know what will happen next. Meanwhile, someone from support has provided me with a demo activation code to keep me running which is helpful, but wasn’t much use yesterday when I really needed it.

Whilst I'm obviously taking the opportunity to have a bit of a grumble, the point I'm trying to make is that you shouldn't just install PM elsewhere unless you've considered that you may not be able to activate it if you have had (just cause) to reactivate PM in the past.

EDIT - just tried to enter the demo license that I was sent by support but I can't as I'm stuck in the challenge/response situation. So I'm stuck with no software that as I believe we own a licence to use, until someone can find time to assist. Oh, and 50 gigs of images to show the client first thing Monday morning that need renaming, meta-logging and jpeg extractions performing before I can upload them.
So when i said "bit of a hassle", i should have said "a frigging nightmare".
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 04:28:46 AM by apl »