Author Topic: Folder Renaming Question  (Read 4384 times)

Offline rbsandor

• View Profile
Folder Renaming Question
« on: November 23, 2008, 12:03:15 PM »
Mac OS 10.11.4 and PM 4.5.4
I have created a series of dated folders using the following scheme Chicago/{year4}{month0}{day0}. I have tried to rename a folder using the contextual menu. When I click rename, the folder is highlighted and I can type in a name. However, when I click enter, the folder name reverts to the date. What step am I missing or doing wrong? Thanks, Richard

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Folder Renaming Question
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 05:26:25 PM »
Richard,

Mac OS 10.11.4 and PM 4.5.4
I have created a series of dated folders using the following scheme Chicago/{year4}{month0}{day0}. I have tried to rename a folder using the contextual menu. When I click rename, the folder is highlighted and I can type in a name. However, when I click enter, the folder name reverts to the date. What step am I missing or doing wrong?

Variables are not evaluated in folder renaming in the Favorites or Navigator.

-Kirk

Offline rbsandor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 08:16:35 AM »
Is there a way to re-name as requested in the original question? Richard

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 10:14:00 AM »
Richard,

Is there a way to re-name as requested in the original question?

I'm confused as to where you're doing your renaming.  Are you renaming in the Favorites or the Navigator, or the Finder?  Are you using variables while you're trying to rename a folder?

-Kirk

Offline rbsandor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 12:07:46 PM »
Kirk: I'm trying to do the re-naming in the Navigator using the drop-down menu which appears when I right click a dated folder. I have no familiarity with the use of variables for this task. Thanks, Richard

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 01:30:34 PM »
Richard,

I'm trying to do the re-naming in the Navigator using the drop-down menu which appears when I right click a dated folder. I have no familiarity with the use of variables for this task.

OK, well I just tried it on my system and it renamed just fine.  I even had the folder open as a contact sheet tab at the time.

Maybe posting a screen shot will help.

-Kirk

Offline rbsandor

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 03:20:03 PM »
Kirk: tried a different tack. Previously, I had tried to rename a sub-folder named 20081119 to Varanasi 11/19/08. When I hit Enter, it reverted to 20081119. When I omitted the forward slashes, I could re-name as desired. Evidently using the forward slash (see the naming scheme in my first post) in a date precludes this type of change. Thanks for your help. Richard

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 06:11:09 PM »
Richard,

Kirk: tried a different tack. Previously, I had tried to rename a sub-folder named 20081119 to Varanasi 11/19/08. When I hit Enter, it reverted to 20081119. When I omitted the forward slashes, I could re-name as desired. Evidently using the forward slash (see the naming scheme in my first post) in a date precludes this type of change. Thanks for your help.

Forward slashes are directory path separator characters and are not allowed.

-Kirk