Author Topic: Disappearing IPTC info  (Read 6922 times)

Offline nmf

• View Profile
Disappearing IPTC info
« on: November 28, 2008, 05:36:05 AM »
I've noticed that after editing RAW images in Photoshop I seem to be losing the "location" and "country code" information that I had added.

In all cases when this has happened the file has been ingested first, saving the files to two folders, one remains untouched, the images in the other are then renamed and a caption embedded afterwards as opposed to during ingestion. I have checked the captions in the work folder files and they include the relevant information so it isn't a case of forgetting to ensure the necessary boxes are checked.

I noticed this first a few weeks ago (whilst still using 4.5.3) and thought it was user error but I have since upgraded to 4.5.4 so don't see it relates to a particular version of PM. I have also noticed that when I colour label files in Bridge those labels no longer translate across even though I haven't made any changes in Preferences in either software since you explained how to set this up several months ago.

I'm using a MacBook Pro with OSX 10.5.5, Photoshop CS3 v10.0.1

Any thoughts on the cause would be appreciated. Thank you for your help.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Disappearing IPTC info
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 06:23:16 AM »
I've noticed that after editing RAW images in Photoshop I seem to be losing the "location" and "country code" information that I had added.

In all cases when this has happened the file has been ingested first, saving the files to two folders, one remains untouched, the images in the other are then renamed and a caption embedded afterwards as opposed to during ingestion. I have checked the captions in the work folder files and they include the relevant information so it isn't a case of forgetting to ensure the necessary boxes are checked.

I noticed this first a few weeks ago (whilst still using 4.5.3) and thought it was user error but I have since upgraded to 4.5.4 so don't see it relates to a particular version of PM. I have also noticed that when I colour label files in Bridge those labels no longer translate across even though I haven't made any changes in Preferences in either software since you explained how to set this up several months ago.

I'm using a MacBook Pro with OSX 10.5.5, Photoshop CS3 v10.0.1

Any thoughts on the cause would be appreciated. Thank you for your help.

Please post a screen shot of the Files tab and IPTC/XMP tab of your Photo Mechanic Preferences dialog.  Also, please tell me what type of RAW files you're working with.

-Kirk

Offline nmf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 07:19:19 AM »
Sorry I forgot to say, I am shooting Canon RAW+JPEGs from Canon 1D MkII and MkII N.

In case there may be a relevance I rename the files then caption.

I've attached below grabs as requested.

Thanks

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 08:33:26 AM »
Sorry I forgot to say, I am shooting Canon RAW+JPEGs from Canon 1D MkII and MkII N.

In case there may be a relevance I rename the files then caption.

I've attached below grabs as requested.

You need to turn off the embedding of IPTC4XMP in your TIFF-based RAW files, and set them to Always create and/or update XMP sidecar files.  Adobe's products get seriously confused by embedded IPTC4XMP in RAW files.

-Kirk

Offline nmf

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 08:35:43 AM »
Thanks for your reply and apologies for not getting back to you sooner.

Unfortunately even though I have made the changes you suggested this still doesn't work (I have attached the updated screen grab of the IPTC/XMP Preference dialog to check I have done this correctly). I am still losing the "Location" and "Country Code" info once a file is edited and the new colour label added in Bridge fails to show when I go back to the page in Photo Mechanic.

I have found out that the "Location" and "Country Code" information are still present when an edited image is viewed via File Info in Photoshop CS3. Also that the new colour label shows in Photo Mechanic if also added to the JPEG. Previously I have only been trying to re label the RAW file.

The latter I accept may just be one of those things and that I need to separate the two sets of files before I begin editing. Any thoughts on the cause of the former please ?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 10:32:40 AM »
Unfortunately even though I have made the changes you suggested this still doesn't work (I have attached the updated screen grab of the IPTC/XMP Preference dialog to check I have done this correctly). I am still losing the "Location" and "Country Code" info once a file is edited and the new colour label added in Bridge fails to show when I go back to the page in Photo Mechanic.

"once a file is edited", where? edited in which application?

-Kirk

Offline nmf

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 01:31:43 PM »
After ingesting, captioning and renaming, images are selected and labelled,Cmd 3 / Green (all in PhotoMechanic).

The relevant folder is then opened inBridge (v 2.1.1.9) and a number of the files are opened via Bridge in the Camera Raw 4.6 dialog. Adjustments are made and these files are then opened in Photoshop CS3 (10.0.1). Any additionally required adjustments are made (cropping, curves, USM) and the files are then saved as JPEGs in a new folder. The files that have been edited are then relabelled, Cmd 6 / Red.

On checking these files the "location" and "country code" entries have disappeared from the IPTC caption when viewed in Photo Mechanic (v4.5.4). A check of the edited image shows this information when viewed in File Info in Photoshop CS3. These field entries are also still visible if an image is worked on in Camera Raw but then not opened in Photoshop. Thus it appears that at some stage of this process these two fields become invisible to Photo Mechanic.

I'm using a MacBook Pro with OSX 10.5.5.

Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 01:56:31 PM »
After ingesting, captioning and renaming, images are selected and labelled,Cmd 3 / Green (all in PhotoMechanic).

The relevant folder is then opened inBridge (v 2.1.1.9) and a number of the files are opened via Bridge in the Camera Raw 4.6 dialog. Adjustments are made and these files are then opened in Photoshop CS3 (10.0.1). Any additionally required adjustments are made (cropping, curves, USM) and the files are then saved as JPEGs in a new folder. The files that have been edited are then relabelled, Cmd 6 / Red.

On checking these files the "location" and "country code" entries have disappeared from the IPTC caption when viewed in Photo Mechanic (v4.5.4). A check of the edited image shows this information when viewed in File Info in Photoshop CS3. These field entries are also still visible if an image is worked on in Camera Raw but then not opened in Photoshop. Thus it appears that at some stage of this process these two fields become invisible to Photo Mechanic.

I'm using a MacBook Pro with OSX 10.5.5.

I'd like to see a sample file then.  Please click on my name to the left of this message, then click on the 'personal message' link.  I will respond with upload instructions.

Thanks,

-Kirk