Author Topic: Save As question  (Read 6325 times)

Offline jfm1973

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Save As question
« on: December 01, 2008, 08:29:57 AM »
Kirk,

I am experiencing an odd problem. I've started to use the Save As feature a lot to re-size photos to be sent out for proofs. When I try to upload them to Costco, the files can't be read by their uploader. Any file that gets Saved As in Photo Mechanic results in a Failed Photo error. The files work perfectly if uploaded straight from the camera, or if they've been run through CS3, Aperture or Lightroom. But if they go through PM's Save As feature, they won't work. I've talked to the Costco 'techs' about it and their solution is to quit using Photo Mechanic. . . Hell no.

Any ideas?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Save As question
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 08:45:00 AM »
I am experiencing an odd problem. I've started to use the Save As feature a lot to re-size photos to be sent out for proofs. When I try to upload them to Costco, the files can't be read by their uploader. Any file that gets Saved As in Photo Mechanic results in a Failed Photo error. The files work perfectly if uploaded straight from the camera, or if they've been run through CS3, Aperture or Lightroom. But if they go through PM's Save As feature, they won't work. I've talked to the Costco 'techs' about it and their solution is to quit using Photo Mechanic. . . Hell no.

Does their uploader give you any specific error message?  Where can I get their uploader program?

-Kirk

Offline jfm1973

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 05:23:34 PM »
It's a web-based, pop-up uploading system. You have to be a member to access the site, http://costcophotocenter.com

Usually, you direct it to the right folder and it displays thumbnails to select for uploading. With PM files that have been Saved As, it doesn't display the thumbnail, only the message "Failed Photo" in its place.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 05:32:49 PM »
It's a web-based, pop-up uploading system. You have to be a member to access the site, http://costcophotocenter.com

Usually, you direct it to the right folder and it displays thumbnails to select for uploading. With PM files that have been Saved As, it doesn't display the thumbnail, only the message "Failed Photo" in its place.

What happens if you take one of the Photo Mechanic-generated images and re-save them in Photoshop and then try to upload them?

-Kirk

Offline gman

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 10:09:31 AM »
Revisiting this topic. I'm having the same problem, but if you re-save it in photoshop it works. This is painful workaround if you a large number photos to print. Is there any way you can look into this Kirk?

Thanks,
Glenn

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 10:35:56 AM »
Glenn,

Revisiting this topic. I'm having the same problem, but if you re-save it in photoshop it works. This is painful workaround if you a large number photos to print. Is there any way you can look into this Kirk?

I just tried it and have found a workaround for this issue.  If you have Photo Mechanic 4.6.1 then you can use the 'Delete Metadata...' command on the Tools menu.  Select the photos you wish to upload.  Only set the 'Photo Mechanic end of file preferences' checkbox and then click the OK button.  You can do this in a large batch operation and it is much faster than re-saving from Photoshop.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline gman

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 11:35:37 AM »
Thanks Kirk.

A question on the workaround. I create an individual directory for each client sometimes with crop ratios too. Is there a way to do the save as and have it strip the metadata as the files are sent to client directory?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 11:44:45 AM »
A question on the workaround. I create an individual directory for each client sometimes with crop ratios too. Is there a way to do the save as and have it strip the metadata as the files are sent to client directory?

No.  The tool I described needs to be run after the Save As operation.

-Kirk

Offline kwell

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2009, 07:08:58 AM »
I have run in to the same issue, but I'm on PM 4.5.4 (running on Mac Leopard) which doesn't have the metadata deletion tool.

When uploading to Sam's Club, however, you have two choices for selecting the images. You can click on a button called "select pictures" in which you navigate to the right folder on your machine. That approach shows "failed photo" as discussed above. But if you use the drag-and-drop approach,  in which you select one (or a group) of photos from your Finder (on Mac) and drag them onto the target area on the website, it seems to work fine.

Hope this helps,

Kevin