Author Topic: FTP an archive  (Read 5210 times)

Offline SamFrost

• View Profile
    • Sam Frost Photography
FTP an archive
« on: December 05, 2008, 04:38:18 AM »
Would it be possible to have an option in the FTP Upload dialog that generates a zip archive?  The effect would be exactly the same as the usual ftp but instead of sending individual files PM would wrap them into a single zip file and upload that instead.  I'd want to keep all the same saving options that are present in the FTP dialog, and set the destination path as usual.  The only UI change I'm imagining is a "Send as archive" checkbox, with maybe the option to choose .zip or .dmg as a format.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: FTP an archive
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 06:45:23 AM »
Sam,

Would it be possible to have an option in the FTP Upload dialog that generates a zip archive?  The effect would be exactly the same as the usual ftp but instead of sending individual files PM would wrap them into a single zip file and upload that instead.  I'd want to keep all the same saving options that are present in the FTP dialog, and set the destination path as usual.  The only UI change I'm imagining is a "Send as archive" checkbox, with maybe the option to choose .zip or .dmg as a format.

We could probably do the Zip option.  DMG is unlikely to be cross-platform (I could be wrong as I have not researched it yet.)

-Kirk

Offline SamFrost

• View Profile
    • Sam Frost Photography
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 04:36:44 PM »
.zip would be certainly preferable for me 99% of the time anyway, so the checkbox could simply read "Send as Zip archive"  It would be great if this makes it into PM :)

Offline pmagi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 02:02:42 AM »
Yes, please, FTP as ZIP would be great in PM. Now I have to Save As to folder, ZIP that and then usa another FTP program....
Rgds
PM

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 06:55:54 AM »
Yes, please, FTP as ZIP would be great in PM. Now I have to Save As to folder, ZIP that and then usa another FTP program....

You shouldn't need to use a different FTP program.  As long as you allow PM to show unknown files as proxies (you'll then see your zip file if you open the parent folder as a contact sheet) then you can select the zip file and upload via FTP.

-Kirk

Offline pmagi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 10:15:53 AM »
Ah, forgot that, thanks! Now only the ZIP missing then...
Rgds
PM

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 05:05:47 PM »
I second adding the ZIP feature is a good idea and maybe adding it to the Send via e-mail and FTP options could save a lot of time for everyone.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline pmagi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 01:12:49 AM »
Yes, a simple "tic box" would be best!

I am usually lazy and dont do the ZIP thing, just FTP the files, and the customers get pissed having bad SW for downloading and/or low knowledge and then having to download each file separately......

I second adding the ZIP feature is a good idea and maybe adding it to the Send via e-mail and FTP options could save a lot of time for everyone.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 01:14:26 AM by pmagi »