Author Topic: Snapshot question  (Read 2981 times)

rob.y

Snapshot question
« on: December 03, 2008, 06:37:45 PM »
I just had a short question about the snapshot feature. I am away from the only computer that has Photo Mechanic right now, so I cannot give any specific information, but I was wondering if this feature is synonymous with the Save Preset option in the Apple print dialog.

Details: PowerPC G4, Mac OS 10.4.11, PM 4.5.3.2
I work with a group of photographers.

Specifically, I am looking to be able to save my Photo Mechanic print settings for different types of printouts. We usually keep the settings the same, but after I have to change it for another printout type, it is a pain to remember exactly which boxes were previously checked and which variables were typed. What I would like is the ability to save (snapshot) at least my most-used PM print dialog box for restoration should the settings be changed. If possible, it would be nice to be able to save other snapshots into a list so that I could just choose a setting and print. If this is possible with the snapshot button, please let me know. Otherwise, I guess this is a feature request.

I don't post often because I rarely run into a problem, but this would definitely save time.
Thanks for any feedback.
Rob

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Snapshot question
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 06:48:03 PM »
Rob,

I just had a short question about the snapshot feature. I am away from the only computer that has Photo Mechanic right now, so I cannot give any specific information, but I was wondering if this feature is synonymous with the Save Preset option in the Apple print dialog.

Details: PowerPC G4, Mac OS 10.4.11, PM 4.5.3.2
I work with a group of photographers.

Specifically, I am looking to be able to save my Photo Mechanic print settings for different types of printouts. We usually keep the settings the same, but after I have to change it for another printout type, it is a pain to remember exactly which boxes were previously checked and which variables were typed. What I would like is the ability to save (snapshot) at least my most-used PM print dialog box for restoration should the settings be changed. If possible, it would be nice to be able to save other snapshots into a list so that I could just choose a setting and print. If this is possible with the snapshot button, please let me know.

Yes, that's exactly what it does.

-Kirk

rob.y

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 09:25:23 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply. I can't believe we've been using PM for so many months without utilizing this feature. I guess I just never thought to play with the lightning bolt icon, and who reads the manual? I had eventually resorted to taking screenshots (snapshots :) ) of all of our settings in various windows and printing them for our reference notebook not knowing that the settings could be saved, and even with a name! Anyway, thanks again.

Oh, by the way, I thought it would be a nice feature to be able to delete a snapshot easily, although I'm not sure how you would do that with the drop-down menu like it is. It's no biggie, I just found where the snapshots were stored and deleted the one I didn't want.

Thanks,
Rob

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 10:53:32 PM »
Rob,

Thanks for the quick reply. I can't believe we've been using PM for so many months without utilizing this feature. I guess I just never thought to play with the lightning bolt icon, and who reads the manual? I had eventually resorted to taking screenshots (snapshots :) ) of all of our settings in various windows and printing them for our reference notebook not knowing that the settings could be saved, and even with a name! Anyway, thanks again.

Oh, by the way, I thought it would be a nice feature to be able to delete a snapshot easily, although I'm not sure how you would do that with the drop-down menu like it is. It's no biggie, I just found where the snapshots were stored and deleted the one I didn't want.

Just hold down the Option key while choosing the snapshot you're interested in and a Finder window will come forward, displaying the snapshot file.  From there you can delete it, copy it, or rename it.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 08:41:37 AM »
Perhaps reading the manual would be a good thing after all :-) I thought I was quite proficient with Photomechanic but still I found some hidden gems inside it. The point is, although PM is wonderfuly simple to work with right out of box, it can also do a lot of quite complex things which the manual and forums help a lot at finding...