Author Topic: adding keywords to a group of images  (Read 2888 times)

Offline dagimage

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
adding keywords to a group of images
« on: December 06, 2008, 01:38:21 PM »
I have a large set of images to which I've already applied some keywords (and other IPTC info).  There are several subsets to which I need to apply additional keywords.  But I can't figure out how to add keywords to a group of selected images without modifying any other IPTC info -- other than clearing out the stationery pad, entering the new keywords, and checking the append checkbox for keywords.  Is there any simpler way to do this?  Can it be done  through the keyword dialogue?

Also, is there a way to export the master keyword list that I've created?

Thanks.

Dave

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: adding keywords to a group of images
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 04:06:00 PM »
Dave,

I have a large set of images to which I've already applied some keywords (and other IPTC info).  There are several subsets to which I need to apply additional keywords.  But I can't figure out how to add keywords to a group of selected images without modifying any other IPTC info -- other than clearing out the stationery pad, entering the new keywords, and checking the append checkbox for keywords.  Is there any simpler way to do this?  Can it be done  through the keyword dialogue?

You don't have to clear out the entire IPTC Stationery Pad.  Just un-check the checkboxes next to the fields that you don't want to apply.

The Keywords panel should allow you to append keywords as well and it is more interactive.

Quote from: dagimage
Also, is there a way to export the master keyword list that I've created?

Sure.  Save it as a snapshot (use the lightning bolt button).  You can copy the snapshot files from one system to another.  Holding down the Option key (on Mac) or Shift key (on Windows) while choosing an existing snapshot item from the menu will bring either the Finder or Windows Explorer forward with that snapshot selected.  From there you can copy, rename, delete, etc.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline dagimage

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 09:23:56 AM »
Thanks for the help, Kirk.  But...

The Keywords panel should allow you to append keywords as well and it is more interactive.

I haven't been able to figure out how to do this.  I looked at the manual and it didn't seem to say, either.  What am I missing?

Thanks,
Dave

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 09:40:28 AM »
Dave,

Thanks for the help, Kirk.  But...

I haven't been able to figure out how to do this.  I looked at the manual and it didn't seem to say, either.  What am I missing?

Open up the Keywords panel from the Image menu.  Since you want to append keywords, please set the Applying popup menu to read "When applying, append keywords".  Then select keywords from the list.  You can Shift-click to make contiguous selections, or use Command (Mac) or Ctrl (Windows) to select additional individual keywords.  Then select some photos and then click on the "Apply to selected photos" button.

If you have additional questions, please let me know.

-Kirk