Author Topic: kernel_task issue with Photo Mechanic  (Read 4889 times)

Offline bamakodaker

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
kernel_task issue with Photo Mechanic
« on: December 07, 2008, 04:07:00 PM »
Using Mac PowerBook G4, OS 10.4.11, 1.5 GB SDRAM
kernel_task (kt)
I don't care what I keep seeing online that kt is just a background thing that must run and you should ignore it.
I can't ignore something that drastically reduces operations on my computer. I've seen kt go up to over 110% of CPU usage.
ID 0, CPU time is stuck on 6:01.04, I've had computer on less than an hour and Messages Received is climbing above 9,718,962, Threads 49, Ports 2, Real Memory 83.68 MG and Virtual Memory of 1.02 GB.
I've noticed a direct connection to Photo Mechanic. Computer can be on and used for Email, word programs or even Photoshop with no problems. When PM is first opened up my computer slows way down and kt is always the culprit. CPU% jumps around 70, 80, 90 and over 100% routinely.
I've had this problem a long time but just never "got around to it"!
Any help, suggestions or questions are greatly appreciated.
bamakodaker

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: kernel_task issue with Photo Mechanic
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 06:51:00 PM »
Using Mac PowerBook G4, OS 10.4.11, 1.5 GB SDRAM
kernel_task (kt)
I don't care what I keep seeing online that kt is just a background thing that must run and you should ignore it.
I can't ignore something that drastically reduces operations on my computer. I've seen kt go up to over 110% of CPU usage.
ID 0, CPU time is stuck on 6:01.04, I've had computer on less than an hour and Messages Received is climbing above 9,718,962, Threads 49, Ports 2, Real Memory 83.68 MG and Virtual Memory of 1.02 GB.
I've noticed a direct connection to Photo Mechanic. Computer can be on and used for Email, word programs or even Photoshop with no problems. When PM is first opened up my computer slows way down and kt is always the culprit. CPU% jumps around 70, 80, 90 and over 100% routinely.
I've had this problem a long time but just never "got around to it"!

The kernel_task does have to run.  You can't kill it.  It sounds like the kernel is busy on your computer, likely doing virtual memory management.  You say you have 1.5 GB of RAM  How much RAM have you told Photo Mechanic to use (See the Caching tab of the Photo Mechanic Preferences dialog)?  Do you have Photoshop open at the same time as PM?  You're likely exceeding the amount of RAM installed on your computer.

If you use more RAM than your computer has, then virtual memory kicks in and it is indeed much slower.  You'll see a lot more time spent in kernel_task during times of heavy virtual memory swapping.

It may be time to purchase more RAM.  RAM is pretty cheap nowadays.  Or you can quit some other apps when you run Photo Mechanic.  I'd recommend buying more RAM instead of changing your work habits.

-Kirk
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 06:55:36 PM by Kirk Baker »

Offline bamakodaker

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 02:17:32 PM »
I appreciate the reply.
Others in my department have 2 GB and they've never complained about a slowdown.
Please forgive me if I admit being a little bothered by your answer. OK, kt is neccessary - but is everyone getting this slowdown at startup? It makes my computer basically worthless for 5 to 7 minutes after PM is started. I still feel like something is wrong on my computer.

As far as cache/memory allocation - what's the suggestion for settings?
We have Disk cache of 512 MB
Reserve of 100MB
Empty cache on Quit
Remove cached files older than 5 days
Memory cache 256 MB
(The guy next to me has Memory cache at 64 MB and no problems)
The way kt hits in PM every time it makes me feel like it is running like a virus, going thru looking for everything new and transmitting it out. Yes, I'm paranoid! No one else has this problem!
I did not have this problem when this G4 was new to me.

I appreciate the time and suggestions.
bamakodaker

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 03:00:30 PM »
I appreciate the reply.
Others in my department have 2 GB and they've never complained about a slowdown.
Please forgive me if I admit being a little bothered by your answer. OK, kt is neccessary - but is everyone getting this slowdown at startup? It makes my computer basically worthless for 5 to 7 minutes after PM is started. I still feel like something is wrong on my computer.

As far as cache/memory allocation - what's the suggestion for settings?
We have Disk cache of 512 MB
Reserve of 100MB
Empty cache on Quit
Remove cached files older than 5 days
Memory cache 256 MB
(The guy next to me has Memory cache at 64 MB and no problems)
The way kt hits in PM every time it makes me feel like it is running like a virus, going thru looking for everything new and transmitting it out. Yes, I'm paranoid! No one else has this problem!
I did not have this problem when this G4 was new to me.

Do you have Photoshop open at the time that the problem occurs?  How much memory have you told Photoshop to use?

Your system has 512 MB less RAM than coworker's system and you are using a larger Memory cache in Photo Mechanic than your coworker.  This should tell you something...  Have you tried reducing your Photo Mechanic Memory Cache down to 64 MB like your coworker?

-Kirk

Offline bamakodaker

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 03:39:35 PM »
Thanks for the response.

I hope I am like the majority of computer users. We use what we have but don't understand all about the computer. Maybe missing the basics - like how does cache and memory affect usage?
In Photo Shop (PS)> Prefs>Memory & Image Cache
Cache Levels - 4
Memory Usage
Available RAM 1349MB
Maximum Used by PhotoShop 75% + 1011MB
Again - maybe missing basics - I thought a larger PM cache would allow PM to handle things better.

I'll lower PM cache to 64, reboot and see how things go.

bamakodaker

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 03:56:35 PM »
Thanks for the response.

I hope I am like the majority of computer users. We use what we have but don't understand all about the computer. Maybe missing the basics - like how does cache and memory affect usage?
In Photo Shop (PS)> Prefs>Memory & Image Cache
Cache Levels - 4
Memory Usage
Available RAM 1349MB
Maximum Used by PhotoShop 75% + 1011MB
Again - maybe missing basics - I thought a larger PM cache would allow PM to handle things better.

I'll lower PM cache to 64, reboot and see how things go.

It would help PM work better, as long as you have enough physical memory on your system, which it looks very much like you do not.  When Photoshop is running, you've told it to use more than half of your RAM.  You've told PM to use 256 MB of RAM, and the OS will use a few hundred MB of RAM as well.  Since you don't have enough physical RAM to honor all of those requirements, virtual memory is being used to honor those requirements.  Virtual Memory is many, many times slower than using physical RAM.

You should set PM's Memory cache down to 64 MB and set Photoshop to use about 700 MB of RAM (50%) and then things will likely improve quite a bit.  Or you can purchase and install more RAM.

HTH,

-Kirk