Author Topic: IPTC XMP data in DNG files corrupted  (Read 5941 times)

Offline roysmyth

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
IPTC XMP data in DNG files corrupted
« on: July 06, 2006, 02:56:29 PM »
After updating the IPCT XMP metadata in a group of DNG files, Photo Mechanic then gave the error message: "Error reading IPTC record from photo" when trying to do further edits on some of the photos. Some are OK. All the data was backed up so nothing was lost. I can send before and after versions of one of the files.

Adobe Bridge shows all metadata as blank on files for which PM gave the error message.

PM 4.4.3, Mac 0S 10.4.7, PowerPC G5.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: IPTC XMP data in DNG files corrupted
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 04:45:12 PM »
After updating the IPCT XMP metadata in a group of DNG files, Photo Mechanic then gave the error message: "Error reading IPTC record from photo" when trying to do further edits on some of the photos. Some are OK. All the data was backed up so nothing was lost. I can send before and after versions of one of the files.

Adobe Bridge shows all metadata as blank on files for which PM gave the error message.

PM 4.4.3, Mac 0S 10.4.7, PowerPC G5.

Yes, please contact me privately for server upload information.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 02:27:17 PM »
After updating the IPCT XMP metadata in a group of DNG files, Photo Mechanic then gave the error message: "Error reading IPTC record from photo" when trying to do further edits on some of the photos. Some are OK.

Roy,

I took a look at the files you sent.  What software did you use to add the original XMP?  It looks like there is a version 1.02 (Bridge?).  Whatever tool created this appears to have an incorrect number of TIFF tags (it says 39 but there are only 38 with zero bytes for the 39th tag).  This breaks the logic in PM that tries to insert/update TIFF tags.  The result is that the XMP tag isn't updated to its new location and the old data is masked.  You can revert the TIFF file to get back to the original (see Tools menu in PM).

I will go ahead and try to make PM be able to handle improperly formatted DNG files like the ones you have so that this won't happen again.  This will be in the next update.

--dennis

Offline roysmyth

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 11:15:00 AM »
Hi Dennis,

I the DNG file was created and annotated about a year ago. I cannot remember if I used Bridge or iView to do the annotation. I'm glad to know that the problem does not lie Photo Mechanic.