Author Topic: Obligatory IPTC Stationary Pad for ingests.  (Read 8698 times)

Offline mcg

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Obligatory IPTC Stationary Pad for ingests.
« on: December 09, 2008, 04:56:21 AM »
A simple request : to help make the task of frequent ingests more fool-proof have an option in the preferences that causes the IPTC Stationary pad to Pop-up for each ingest cycle.

The reason: when in a hurry it's easy to ingest a new batch of images whilst having forgotten to update the keywords from the previous batch... if this is missed entirely subsequent location of these files can be difficult.

Of course this mandatory behaviour would be unnecessary for some users, hence an optional preference.

In busy environments having the occasional batch slipping by with incorrect keywords is a reality.
This feature would automate the process and help promote key word diligence.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Obligatory IPTC Stationary Pad for ingests.
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 05:52:37 AM »
A simple request : to help make the task of frequent ingests more fool-proof have an option in the preferences that causes the IPTC Stationary pad to Pop-up for each ingest cycle.

The reason: when in a hurry it's easy to ingest a new batch of images whilst having forgotten to update the keywords from the previous batch... if this is missed entirely subsequent location of these files can be difficult.

Of course this mandatory behaviour would be unnecessary for some users, hence an optional preference.

In busy environments having the occasional batch slipping by with incorrect keywords is a reality.
This feature would automate the process and help promote key word diligence.

How would this work?  The IPTC Stationery Pad would just pop up as soon as the Ingest dialog appears?

-Kirk

Offline JAS Photo

• View Profile
    • JAS Photo LLC
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 06:59:53 AM »
Kirk - I could see this useful anytime apply IPTC is selected. It pop up so you can see what your applying - you can then edit it or continue - If it was set up in properly it would only ad a click if it was wrong it could save a lot of redoing.
I have had this proble a few times.
Thanks
Joe Sorrentino
JAS Photo LLC
http://www.JASPhoto.com

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 03:28:09 AM »
How would this work?  The IPTC Stationery Pad would just pop up as soon as the Ingest dialog appears?

Kirk, I would like to see something similar as well.  The way I would see it is that you will be presented with the IPTC Stationary pad (either the local or the global one, depending on the option selected) right after you click the ingest button.

As the original poster already suggested, this should be an option, and only be active if one is applying IPTC info upon ingest.

Hope this is helpful and can be easily implemented.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline bazography

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 12:03:14 PM »
I hadn't thought of that before, but I think it is a fabulous idea. I too sometimes forget to check my IPTC info before hitting the ingest button... I know, I should just stop being such a bonehead, but as that is not likely to happen, forcing the IPTC window to open before ingest would be the next best thing.
If the IPTC window pops up when you hit the Ingest button (having chosen to apply IPTC of course) that would be fine with me, but I wonder if it may create an extra step for some people who perhaps use only variables in there IPTC and therefore don't need to change IPTC info every ingest.
Perhaps the ideal solution for everyone would be a simple "Open IPTC window before Ingest" preference.

Offline Ben Curtis

• View Profile
    • Snappertalk blog
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 03:57:26 AM »
I also vote for this feature... In my mind the IPTC Info dialog (local or global as per settings in Ingest dialog) would pop up just after the Ingest dialog.... After clicking OK on the IPTC dialog, the ingest would start to take place...

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 08:53:14 PM »
I vote for it too.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline mcg

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 02:02:38 AM »
Did this feature ever get implemented?

I had a look through the preferences but cant see it if it is.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 06:18:51 AM »
Did this feature ever get implemented?

I had a look through the preferences but cant see it if it is.

It wasn't implemented in PM 5.

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 07:14:06 AM »
Actually I was surprised to see my name voting for it three years earlier here.

I still find it could be a helpful thing for those who might forget about it so I support the ida to make it an option.

However now (three years after I supported it probably because I had similar problems) I don't even remember having such problems. So perhaps it is a good workaround for all to set up PM to show the ingest dialog every time a card is ingested and train yourself to allways checking and setting properly the IPTC stationery whenever you see the ingest dialog before you hit the Ingest button.

I'm sure it works this way too....at least I haven't had any problem with it for years.
,-))
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com