Author Topic: Problems with Capture NX2 and IPTC Subject CODE  (Read 5247 times)

Offline tobias_cgn

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Problems with Capture NX2 and IPTC Subject CODE
« on: December 14, 2008, 07:30:22 AM »
Hi,

i have problems wirh the IPTC Subject CODE Field and Capture NX2. I filling this field with the IPTC Code like this:

06007000, 06007020, 06006006, 06006003

I have this done with Capture NX2.

Now I'm changing in PM any field in the IPTC Editor and save. After this action, the content of the IPTC Subject code field
disappears in Capture NX2. It disappears only, if the field contains a comma (,).

For example, I can replace the commas with dots (or nothing) and the content will appear in Capture NX again. Only when a comma is in
the field they don't appear in Capture NX2.

I work with nef files (raw)
PM: Version 4.5.4
RAM: 4 GB
Capture NX2: V 2.1.0

Please help me.....

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 07:57:13 AM by tobias_cgn »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Problems with Capture NX2 and IPTC Subject CODE
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 08:41:51 AM »
i have problems wirh the IPTC Subject CODE Field and Capture NX2. I filling this field with the IPTC Code like this:

06007000, 06007020, 06006006, 06006003

I have this done with Capture NX2.

Now I'm changing in PM any field in the IPTC Editor and save. After this action, the content of the IPTC Subject code field
disappears in Capture NX2. It disappears only, if the field contains a comma (,).

For example, I can replace the commas with dots (or nothing) and the content will appear in Capture NX again. Only when a comma is in
the field they don't appear in Capture NX2.

I work with nef files (raw)
PM: Version 4.5.4
RAM: 4 GB
Capture NX2: V 2.1.0

Can you send me a sample file that exhibits this problem?  Please click on my name to the left of this message, then click on the 'personal message' link.  I will respond with upload instructions.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline tobias_cgn

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 10:52:20 AM »
Hi Kirk,

I found in the imagefiles differences (opened the images files with ultraedit) between the saved Data in CaptureNX and PM:

PM:

<Iptc4xmpCore:SubjectCode>
            <rdf:Bag>
               <rdf:li>06006008</rdf:li>
               <rdf:li>06007000</rdf:li>>
            </rdf:Bag>
         </Iptc4xmpCore:SubjectCode>

Capture NX:

<rdf:li>06006008, 06007000</rdf:li>

This concerns the IPTC Subject Code fiels and IPTC Scene field. I think this fields are not for multiple content (like Keywords).

In addition, i noticed, that the XMP Data two times in the modified (from PM) file. At begining the original XMP-Data from NX and at the
end the XMP-DATA from PM!

I would think, this is an problem for Capture NX. Is this an common problem from PM?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 11:17:19 AM by tobias_cgn »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 05:13:55 PM »
Hi Kirk,

I found in the imagefiles differences (opened the images files with ultraedit) between the saved Data in CaptureNX and PM:

PM:

<rdf:li>06006008</rdf:li>
               <rdf:li>06007000</rdf:li>>

Capture NX:

<rdf:li>06006008, 06007000</rdf:li>

This concerns the IPTC Subject Code fiels and IPTC Scene field. I think this fields are not for multiple content (like Keywords).

In addition, i noticed, that the XMP Data two times in the modified (from PM) file. At begining the original XMP-Data from NX and at the
end the XMP-DATA from PM!

I would think, this is an problem for Capture NX. Is this an common problem from PM?

Capture NX2 isn't interpreting an XMP 'bag' of items.  It apparently expects every item in the list to be in a single bag item.  That's just not the way a bag is supposed to work.  A bag is a list of separate items.  The Capture NX folks will have to fix this one on their end.

As for seeing the XMP data two times in the file, that comes from the fact that we can't completely rewrite a proprietary file and have to relocate new data to the end of the file.  It is the only way to be completely safe.

-Kirk

Offline tobias_cgn

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 02:53:58 AM »
Hi Kirk,

thank you for your response. I have checked the XMP-DOKU from ITPC and there is actually the Subject code and
Scene described as multiple.

Do you have any advice, how can I handle this now in Capture NX? I loose the content of the field in the case of save again in Capture NX. Maybe I can replace the commas wit dots or so in the meantime.

Do you have contact to Nikon Capture NX delvelopers to let them know the bug in their programm?

Thank you for your efforts. But I'm evaluate PM currently, and for me ist it important that it works fine with Capture NX.

Tobi 

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 06:19:04 AM »
Tobi,

Do you have any advice, how can I handle this now in Capture NX? I loose the content of the field in the case of save again in Capture NX. Maybe I can replace the commas wit dots or so in the meantime.

That would work, though it would be out of specification since each item is supposed to be eight digits long.  Photo Mechanic doesn't enforce that restriction, and Capture NX2 doesn't either.

Quote from: tobias_cgn
Do you have contact to Nikon Capture NX delvelopers to let them know the bug in their programm?

Yes.  We will tell them about the issue as soon as possible.

Quote from: tobias_cgn
Thank you for your efforts. But I'm evaluate PM currently, and for me ist it important that it works fine with Capture NX.

There isn't much we can do to solve their bugs other than to tell the Capture NX developers about the issues.

-Kirk

Offline tobias_cgn

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 07:47:27 AM »
Hi Kirk,

thank you for your quick and helpful support. I hope the Nikon guys resolve the issue in near future.

Tobi