Author Topic: IPTC Information Somehow Being Saved To Uneditable EXIF Fields  (Read 2474 times)

Offline slewis

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
IPTC Information Somehow Being Saved To Uneditable EXIF Fields
« on: December 16, 2008, 07:20:33 PM »
I'm using PM 4.5.4 on an Intel-based Macbook Pro running OS X 10.5.5, and have come across a strange problem.  Somehow, IPTC caption information seems to be making its way into the EXIF fields (in the samples I have, the caption, copyright and author fields).  When subsequently changing those fields, the IPTC fields are changed; however, the data that somehow made its way into the EXIF fields will not change (the result is that you can potentially end up with two different captions, copyright statements, etc.).

Why would IPTC caption information be making its way into the EXIF fields?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: IPTC Information Somehow Being Saved To Uneditable EXIF Fields
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 08:15:24 PM »
I'm using PM 4.5.4 on an Intel-based Macbook Pro running OS X 10.5.5, and have come across a strange problem.  Somehow, IPTC caption information seems to be making its way into the EXIF fields (in the samples I have, the caption, copyright and author fields).  When subsequently changing those fields, the IPTC fields are changed; however, the data that somehow made its way into the EXIF fields will not change (the result is that you can potentially end up with two different captions, copyright statements, etc.).

Why would IPTC caption information be making its way into the EXIF fields?

Photo Mechanic does not write to those fields, but other applications like Photoshop do.

-Kirk

Offline slewis

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 06:37:37 AM »
Is it possible that if IPTC caption information is applied before editing the image in Photoshop, and then the edited image is saved in Photoshop, that Photoshop would be copying IPTC information into the EXIF fields?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 07:10:24 AM »
Is it possible that if IPTC caption information is applied before editing the image in Photoshop, and then the edited image is saved in Photoshop, that Photoshop would be copying IPTC information into the EXIF fields?

Yes, definitely.

-Kirk