Author Topic: Upgrade pricing strategy  (Read 4625 times)

Offline devenh

• View Profile
Upgrade pricing strategy
« on: February 01, 2009, 08:41:00 AM »
First of all, let me say that 4.6 appears to be a very worthwhile and significant upgrade.  As such, I will have no hesitation paying for it since I am beyond the 1 year free upgrade window.

Judging from the announcement, Camerabits is expecting to be inundated with upgrade orders.  Terrific, you've earned it.  My question is will a huge surge in Feb., 2009 orders create an incentive to delay the next upgrade of PM (e.g. 4.7 or 5.0) until after Feb., 2010?

Frankly, if you came out with a 5.0 in Sept., 2009 that had as many improvements as 4.7 does, I'd rather pay for it then rather than have to wait until March, 2010.  And yes, Kirk, you are good enough to get it done by then  ;D

For those of us that haven't been PM customers for a long time, could you tell us what is the typical period between major releases?  Has the 'lifespan' of 4.5.x been longer or shorter than normal?

Deven

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Upgrade pricing strategy
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 09:16:19 AM »
Deven,

First of all, let me say that 4.6 appears to be a very worthwhile and significant upgrade.  As such, I will have no hesitation paying for it since I am beyond the 1 year free upgrade window.

Judging from the announcement, Camerabits is expecting to be inundated with upgrade orders.  Terrific, you've earned it.  My question is will a huge surge in Feb., 2009 orders create an incentive to delay the next upgrade of PM (e.g. 4.7 or 5.0) until after Feb., 2010?

Frankly, if you came out with a 5.0 in Sept., 2009 that had as many improvements as 4.7 does, I'd rather pay for it then rather than have to wait until March, 2010.  And yes, Kirk, you are good enough to get it done by then  ;D

For those of us that haven't been PM customers for a long time, could you tell us what is the typical period between major releases?  Has the 'lifespan' of 4.5.x been longer or shorter than normal?

We like to get major releases done in less than a year, but it doesn't work out as planned every time we try.  Version 4.5.x was a particularly long cycle because of issues brought about by successive releases of Mac OS X Leopard that caused Photo Mechanic some fairly major issues.  Windows Vista didn't help either.

-Kirk