Author Topic: Workflow  (Read 11538 times)

Offline camerauk

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Workflow
« on: December 17, 2008, 09:26:51 AM »
Hi
Is it possible someone can point to me a workflow to use with photo mechanic(I am waiting to download it)
here is what I want to happen Browse compact flash card, select files to rename and caption, then rename and caption them and move them to a folder on hard drive, I would also like to rename files to HE date ie HE171208_AS01_01, 02, 03 etc
and if it is possible can the file name be added automatically to the caption, the caption should be as follows

17/12/2008
Photo by Andy Styles
info that I will add to each individual image if needed ie players names etc
File Name

many thanks for your help

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Workflow
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 10:38:18 AM »
Andy,

Is it possible someone can point to me a workflow to use with photo mechanic(I am waiting to download it)
here is what I want to happen Browse compact flash card, select files to rename and caption, then rename and caption them and move them to a folder on hard drive, I would also like to rename files to HE date ie HE171208_AS01_01, 02, 03 etc.

We don't suggest browsing the card.  Use Ingest Disks instead.  It can caption and rename all while making a primary copy and a secondary backup.

To rename with your desired result use the following as your Renaming string:

HE{day0}{month0}{year2}_{seqn}

Make sure you set your Sequence variable to AS0001 before you start your Ingest.

Quote from: camerauk
and if it is possible can the file name be added automatically to the caption, the caption should be as follows

17/12/2008
Photo by Andy Styles
info that I will add to each individual image if needed ie players names etc
File Name

In the Ingest dialog choose to apply the IPTC Stationery Pad, and then edit the IPTC Stationery Pad as follows:

In the Caption field enter:

{day0}/{month0}/{year4}
Photo by Andy Styles
<blank line here so you can add your additional information later>
HE{day0}{month0}{year2}_{seqn}

Now when you Ingest your photos you'll have everything done in one step.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline camerauk

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 12:49:06 PM »
Thanks for your reply I would only need to choose a few pictures from each job and so need to browse the card really to jusy use the files I need also is there a way that in the caption it will mirror the file name as when I apply the  IPTC Stationery Pad it carries on from the last time so the file name is not always the same in the caption

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 02:18:48 PM »
Thanks for your reply I would only need to choose a few pictures from each job and so need to browse the card really to jusy use the files I need also is there a way that in the caption it will mirror the file name as when I apply the  IPTC Stationery Pad it carries on from the last time so the file name is not always the same in the caption

I don't understand your question.  Please rephrase.

-Kirk

Offline camerauk

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 02:38:41 PM »
sorry what I am saying first is there a way of just ingesting just a few files from the card

second is there a way that when I rename the files the file name will always be the same as in the caption maybe something like HE{day0}{month0}{year2}_{filename}
I have done as you say and it works fine but I only need a few images from the card
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 02:41:10 PM by camerauk »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 03:00:40 PM »
sorry what I am saying first is there a way of just ingesting just a few files from the card

Yes, use the Copy Photos command on the File menu.  You can rename and apply IPTC Stationery if you like in the Copy Options dialog.

Quote from: camerauk
second is there a way that when I rename the files the file name will always be the same as in the caption maybe something like HE{day0}{month0}{year2}_{filename}
I have done as you say and it works fine but I only need a few images from the card

Yes, just use the same set of variables in both the Renaming string and in the IPTC Stationery Pad's Caption field.

-Kirk

Offline TiggerGTO

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 05:19:23 AM »
You keep saying that you only want to ingest selected photos from the card.  That is not the way that PhotoMechanic works or how most people do their workflow.  As Kirk has indicated, the typical workflow is to ingest the entire card to your computer.  Then you can use either the stars or colors to rate your images as you browse the contact sheet with PM.  Once you've picked your keepers, you can filter the display to show only them.  If you want to delete the others, you can adjust the display filters to hide the keepers, and then select and delete all the others.  Then you unhide your keepers and you have just your selected pictures on your disk.

Hope that helps,
Danny

Offline camerauk

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 10:57:29 AM »
I have now worked out a nice workflow where I just browse the card and select the files I need then import those files renaming them as I needed then I batch caption them and edit the files as needed, I do it this way as I only need maybe 1 to 6 pictures from each job, unless it is a sports job then I import all files then work through them and rate and delete as needed

Offline kobold

• View Profile
    • foto-kobold.de
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 07:45:40 AM »
I have now worked out a nice workflow where I just browse the card and select the files I need then import those files renaming them as I needed then I batch caption them and edit the files as needed, I do it this way as I only need maybe 1 to 6 pictures from each job, unless it is a sports job then I import all files then work through them and rate and delete as needed

Then use Nikon Transfer to just ingest the selected images and do the remaining stuff with PM.

Offline camerauk

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 09:10:00 AM »
I dont want to have to use a whole load of programs for my files,
I just use PM now to select, caption, and names my files