Author Topic: ? Variables in Photoshelter "Sent" folders  (Read 7584 times)

Offline Pavel

• View Profile
? Variables in Photoshelter "Sent" folders
« on: July 08, 2006, 06:53:12 AM »
I don't like to save copies of shots that I've uploaded to Photoshelter ( Fantastic feature Btw!) because of archiving issues.  I would like to save them however.  I see that there is a section that allows one to choose uploaded copies in a subdirectory or in a separate folder on ones choosing.  I can't seem to get it to work as the "variables" button is greyed out ( but that could be because I'm in the middle of a several hour upload) - but I was hoping that it would be possible to make it such that I can define a directory on a different hard drive and then use the Variables feature to have uploaded files saved in a similar structure as they are on my hard drive - but just to store the sent items.  Is this possible Kirk - to use variables for the sent photoshelter pictures?
Thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: ? Variables in Photoshelter "Sent" folders
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2006, 11:48:55 AM »
Pavel,

I don't like to save copies of shots that I've uploaded to Photoshelter ( Fantastic feature Btw!) because of archiving issues.  I would like to save them however.

OK, right there I don't understand what you are saying, because in the first sentence you say you don't want to save copies of what was sent, and in the third sentence you do want to save them.

Eh?

Quote from: Pavel
I see that there is a section that allows one to choose uploaded copies in a subdirectory or in a separate folder on ones choosing.  I can't seem to get it to work as the "variables" button is greyed out ( but that could be because I'm in the middle of a several hour upload) - but I was hoping that it would be possible to make it such that I can define a directory on a different hard drive and then use the Variables feature to have uploaded files saved in a similar structure as they are on my hard drive - but just to store the sent items.  Is this possible Kirk - to use variables for the sent photoshelter pictures?

The variables button is disabled out because you are not renaming on upload.  If you check the Rename checkbox, then you can use the Variables... button.  But in any rate, variables are not evaluated in the subfolder field.  If they were, they would still create folders as a subfolder of the current contact sheet folder.

We would need to add a third option to allow a base path (like the Primary destination in Ingest) and then allow variables to be evaluated.

I think it is a good idea and I'll look into adding it.

-Kirk

Offline Pavel

• View Profile
Re: ? Variables in Photoshelter "Sent" folders
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2006, 06:06:37 PM »
Kirk, the thing is that I do want to save my sent folders but I archive a whole hard drives contents every so often onto another fire-wire drive so having duplicates on the drive that I save my raw and original files is what I'd like to avoid.  I have five drives in the machine and several firewire drives so I'd love to have a drive attached by firewire store all the sent files just in case - but that way not clutter up the Raw file drive I back up with duplicate copies.  It would be nice to have the same directory structure and since my directory structure is created automatically upon ingest via variables (no manual mess on my part :) ) it would be great if it were created on this "sent" files drive so that it's easy to refer to.