Author Topic: Mechanic and ACR preview changes  (Read 2075 times)

Offline ksphotog

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Mechanic and ACR preview changes
« on: December 22, 2008, 01:36:44 PM »
Greetings,

We are using Mechanic 4.5.4 and Mac OS 10.4.11 and use Mechanic with CS3 and ACR.

Current workflow: we bring in all RAW files first into Adobe DNG convert then (DNG) into mechanic via ingest and apply the appropriate IPTC Data from there I choose edit photo which brings up CS3 ACR then sometimes directly after a RAW fix (white balace, exposure, black level etc) for further work.

Problem is let's say once an image is brought into ACR...I make changes and click done...mechanic does not "show" the changes that have been made. This kinda messes with our workflow cause our digital image tech uses mechanic to generate thumbs for an online proof gallery and she cannot see any RAW DNG changes that were made in ACR.  I don't see any xmp sidecar files since I think a DNG contains all that information so sidecars aren't needed. Are we missing any steps so once a DNG change is made in ACR that change can show up in the mechanic preview.

Also had glanced through the forum that you might be including a DNG converter in the next version...if so will this help our issue?

Thanks for time and your response.

Regards,

Chuck

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Mechanic and ACR preview changes
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 02:56:29 PM »
Chuck,

We are using Mechanic 4.5.4 and Mac OS 10.4.11 and use Mechanic with CS3 and ACR.

Current workflow: we bring in all RAW files first into Adobe DNG convert then (DNG) into mechanic via ingest and apply the appropriate IPTC Data from there I choose edit photo which brings up CS3 ACR then sometimes directly after a RAW fix (white balace, exposure, black level etc) for further work.

Problem is let's say once an image is brought into ACR...I make changes and click done...mechanic does not "show" the changes that have been made. This kinda messes with our workflow cause our digital image tech uses mechanic to generate thumbs for an online proof gallery and she cannot see any RAW DNG changes that were made in ACR.  I don't see any xmp sidecar files since I think a DNG contains all that information so sidecars aren't needed. Are we missing any steps so once a DNG change is made in ACR that change can show up in the mechanic preview.

If ACR does not update the preview inside the DNG file, then PM will display the old preview.  You need to get ACR to update the DNG file.  How to do that, I don't actually know.

-Kirk