Author Topic: Sent all my Pictures to the Trash from Favorites  (Read 3039 times)

Offline OldandGrim

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Sent all my Pictures to the Trash from Favorites
« on: December 22, 2008, 02:23:42 PM »
Hi first of all I will state this is of no fault of Photo Mechanic, this was a user mistake!!

Just a warning I am trying out Photo Mechanic and have been playing around by trial and error. I dragged and dropped my Pictures Folder from Navigator to Favorites then decided I did not want the entire folder there so dragged it out of favorites this did not work to remove it. I then right clicked on it and accidently sent it to the Trash every photo I have taken in last 10 years. The folder was still showing in Finder as being where it should be, I was unable to remove the folder from the trash started to assume that the folder was not in trash or that it was only a copy, Any way along the way I deleted the entire Folder. I stress this is a User mistake not a fault or bug of Photo Mechanic. My experience from the past with other programs is that removal from favorites is not a removal of the file but the removal of the path.

No harm done in the end I have a back up volume and have replaced all my files. Is this the correct action from Favorites should you be able to send the file to the trash from here?

Imac G5 1.8 2 gig ram os x Tiger 10.4.11 Photo Mechanic 4.5.4 Trial Demo Using in conjunction with Capture NX2

Ps so far extremely impressed with the speed usability and compatibility of Photo Mechanic 

« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 02:25:39 PM by OldandGrim »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Sent all my Pictures to the Trash from Favorites
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 03:01:19 PM »
Hi first of all I will state this is of no fault of Photo Mechanic, this was a user mistake!!

Just a warning I am trying out Photo Mechanic and have been playing around by trial and error. I dragged and dropped my Pictures Folder from Navigator to Favorites then decided I did not want the entire folder there so dragged it out of favorites this did not work to remove it. I then right clicked on it and accidently sent it to the Trash every photo I have taken in last 10 years. The folder was still showing in Finder as being where it should be, I was unable to remove the folder from the trash started to assume that the folder was not in trash or that it was only a copy, Any way along the way I deleted the entire Folder. I stress this is a User mistake not a fault or bug of Photo Mechanic. My experience from the past with other programs is that removal from favorites is not a removal of the file but the removal of the path.

No harm done in the end I have a back up volume and have replaced all my files. Is this the correct action from Favorites should you be able to send the file to the trash from here?

If the item moved to the Trash was a top-level item, then the item should just be removed from the Favorites panel and no filesystem modifications should occur.  If you dragged a child folder of a favorite to the Trash then indeed it will be physically moved to the Trash.

Was your item a top-level item?

-Kirk

Offline OldandGrim

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 03:34:33 PM »
The Folder path was as so Macintosh Hd > Users > Home > Pictures as far as I know this is the top of the tree all my photos live under Pictures. I right clicked to see what options were available and accidently let go on Move to Trash? This moved all my photos to the trash?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 04:29:02 PM »
The Folder path was as so Macintosh Hd > Users > Home > Pictures as far as I know this is the top of the tree all my photos live under Pictures. I right clicked to see what options were available and accidently let go on Move to Trash? This moved all my photos to the trash?

Oh, I thought you used drag and drop to move the item from the Favorites to the Trash.  If you used the "Move to Trash" contextual menu item then it does do exactly that.

-Kirk
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 04:48:17 PM by Kirk Baker »

Offline OldandGrim

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 04:37:18 PM »
No Worries I have learned my lesson

The more I use the program the more I like it   ;D

cantona007

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 05:11:47 AM »