Author Topic: PhotoMechanic Process continues to run in XP after program exit  (Read 2553 times)

Offline DCSportsShooter

• Newcomer
  • Where ever you go, There you are....
    • View Profile
    • Goldminephotos.com
PhotoMechanic Process continues to run in XP after program exit
« on: December 28, 2008, 10:43:56 AM »
Gang,

Happy Holidays and a Happy New Year.

I have been running PM and notice that after I exit the PM process continues to run in XP.  If I have attached USB drives, I cannot eject them until I kill the process.  The particulars are:

Photo Mechanic 4.5.4
Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3
Pentium 4, 3Ghz, with 2MB Memory

Any ideas on what is going on here.  Only happens on my Windows machine.  My MacBook Pro has no issue....and maybe that says it all.   :-\

Looking forward to hearing back. Thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PhotoMechanic Process continues to run in XP after program exit
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 01:57:53 PM »
I have been running PM and notice that after I exit the PM process continues to run in XP.  If I have attached USB drives, I cannot eject them until I kill the process.  The particulars are:

Photo Mechanic 4.5.4
Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3
Pentium 4, 3Ghz, with 2MB Memory

Any ideas on what is going on here.  Only happens on my Windows machine.  My MacBook Pro has no issue....and maybe that says it all.   :-\

No ideas why that would happen.  You can kill the application with the Windows Task Manager.

-Kirk

Offline DCSportsShooter

• Newcomer
  • Where ever you go, There you are....
    • View Profile
    • Goldminephotos.com
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 10:12:07 AM »
Kirk,

Thanks for the reply.  I end up having to kill the application in the task manager nearly every time I shut down PM.  Just do not understand why this is happening.   :-*

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 12:16:33 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  I end up having to kill the application in the task manager nearly every time I shut down PM.  Just do not understand why this is happening.   :-*

Causes can be a thread of execution that fails to quit when told to do so.  Photo Mechanic creates many threads of its own (and shuts them down on exit) and several threads are created by the OS for various services.  It may be that one of the OS-created threads is failing to quit.

-Kirk