Author Topic: Canon ingest problem  (Read 3886 times)

Offline bkerley

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Canon ingest problem
« on: January 04, 2009, 10:22:35 AM »
Cannot seem to ingest jpeg's from my wife's Canon SD630.  Doesn't matter if I connect the camera directly or put the SD card in a card reader--the card does not even mount on my desktop as a removable drive, and obviously if the computer cannot see it, neither can Photomechanic.  I can only ingest from the Canon if I run Canon's own imaging software, which I don't want to do.  No problem at all with my Nikon D70S, pops up right away and opens PM ingest dialogue.  Is there something uinque about Canon formatted cards that Mac's won't see them as a drive?  Is there a plug-in or a workaround?

Macbook Pro 2.16GHz core duo, 2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM, OS 10.4.11.  Incidentally, no difference on my daughter's Macbook Pro running 10.5.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Canon ingest problem
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 11:01:19 AM »
Cannot seem to ingest jpeg's from my wife's Canon SD630.  Doesn't matter if I connect the camera directly or put the SD card in a card reader--the card does not even mount on my desktop as a removable drive, and obviously if the computer cannot see it, neither can Photomechanic.  I can only ingest from the Canon if I run Canon's own imaging software, which I don't want to do.  No problem at all with my Nikon D70S, pops up right away and opens PM ingest dialogue.  Is there something uinque about Canon formatted cards that Mac's won't see them as a drive?  Is there a plug-in or a workaround?

Macbook Pro 2.16GHz core duo, 2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM, OS 10.4.11.  Incidentally, no difference on my daughter's Macbook Pro running 10.5.

It may be that Image Capture is grabbing the disk for its own use.  Try opening up Image Capture (it's in your Applications folder) before you insert the card and see if anything happens.  If Image Capture is interfering then maybe you can change its settings to stop that from happening.

Otherwise, it may be that Canon's imaging software has added some sort of extension to the OS that is grabbing the disk for the later use of the Canon software.  There may be a preference in Canon's software that you can disable this 'feature'.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline bkerley

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 03:08:46 PM »
Tried opening image capture first, no difference.  Image capture doesn't see the card as a drive either.  Image capture is set to open Photo Mechanic when a camera is connected, incidentally.  No Canon software on the computer.  Any other suggestions?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 04:00:53 PM »
Tried opening image capture first, no difference.  Image capture doesn't see the card as a drive either.  Image capture is set to open Photo Mechanic when a camera is connected, incidentally.  No Canon software on the computer.  Any other suggestions?

I'd try contacting Canon next and see what they have to say.

-Kirk

Offline SamFrost

• View Profile
    • Sam Frost Photography
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 03:04:43 AM »
Might be obvious, but you have tried reformatting the card in the camera, haven't you?

Or can Disk Utility see the card?

Offline bkerley

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 02:28:24 PM »
Yes, reformatted card in camera, and no, disk utility cannot see it.  I have now tried cards from two different Canon SD's and same issue, so I suspect there is something about a canon formatted card that makes it invisible to my Mac, except when using canon's own image processing software, which I do not want to do.