Author Topic: Problem moving to Photoshop  (Read 14240 times)

Offline Larz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Problem moving to Photoshop
« on: January 05, 2009, 01:46:45 PM »
Hi, When I select some files to edit in Photoshop CS3, I sometimes get a pop up that says

"This document contains Adobe Photoshop data which appears to be damaged. Continue and ignore the Photoshop data"

All I have to do is click ok, but when opening a group of files, it is frustrating as I have to hit the key each time instead of doing something else while they open.

I also noticed that PM has been freezing up for short periods of time. When I double click a photo and go to browse through them, it freezes like it has to catch up. This is with Jpeg's.

Thanks Larz

Offline SamFrost

• View Profile
    • Sam Frost Photography
Re: Problem moving to Photoshop
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 02:26:42 PM »
"This document contains Adobe Photoshop data which appears to be damaged. Continue and ignore the Photoshop data"

Is this by any chance with jpegs made by DPP from Canon RAW files?  I had this problem with the new version of DPP that came with my G10 compact, but there is an update available on the Canon website that fixed it.

Offline Larz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 02:37:19 PM »
Hi Sam,

No, it is with Jpegs made with a Nikon D3.

Thanks for trying.

Larz

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 03:59:58 PM »
Larz,

Hi, When I select some files to edit in Photoshop CS3, I sometimes get a pop up that says

All I have to do is click ok, but when opening a group of files, it is frustrating as I have to hit the key each time instead of doing something else while they open.

I also noticed that PM has been freezing up for short periods of time. When I double click a photo and go to browse through them, it freezes like it has to catch up. This is with Jpeg's.

Can you share a sample file with us?  Please click on my name to the left of this message, then click on the 'personal message' link.  I will respond with upload instructions.

Also, what version of PM are you running?  What OS are you running?

-Kirk

Offline Larz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 12:06:26 AM »
Hi Kirk,

OK.

PM 4.5.4 newest update

Mac OSX 10.5.6

Sending a pm now

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 03:49:57 PM »
Have had a similar problem, 4.5.4, straight out of camera jpegs, Canon 1Dmk3, latest Photoshop, ingested trough PM. Can't tell the settings used or be more specific, I will try it out few more times, as it happened just before deadline so I ignored it mainly and not investigated further.

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 05:45:47 PM »
Can you all please run an extended memory check on your machine?  This is one possible culprit (bad RAM) and another user that reported this issue has a suspect computer that seems to have the problem when other computers in the same office don't.

--dennis

Offline Marko

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 11:15:19 PM »
I received the same message two days ago, using in-camera JPGs from a Nikon D200.  I dragged the images directly to a folder on my desktop, a Mac running OS X 10.5.6 (9G55).  I then opened up PM, and went through and applied a color label to the selects.  When I tried to open them in Capture NX, I was given a message that Capture NX could not open the files.  I also tried in CS3 and the same message everyone else has received popped up, about damaged Photoshop information.  Could it be related to the color labels being applied in PM? Images which I have not tagged with a color label open up fine in Capture NX and CS3.

Offline Marko

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 11:59:00 PM »
Has any more information been found out about this problem?  I experienced it again today.  I ingested JPEGS to my hard drive on my Mac Pro desktop, running Mac OS X 10.5.6 (9G55).  I am using PM version 4.5.4.  I didn't apply any information such as copyright or contact info while ingesting.  I was able to open and view photos in Photoshop CS3.  Later this evening, before editing, I renamed the files using the following variables: {datesort}_{hour24}{minute}{second}{subsecond}.  Since doing so, I now am unable to get them to open in CS3 and I get the same old "damaged photoshop information" message.  Images were renamed with a capital *.JPG, not sure if that has any meaning.  Contrary to my previous post, it affects files with and without color labels.  I also ran a memory test using "Rember" and came back with no errors.  I would appreciate any more info, if there is any. 

Cheers,

M.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 04:53:14 AM »
Marko,

Sorry, I can not shed any light on the "damaged photoshop information" problem, the rename string you use can be written slightly simpler as {datesort}_{timesortlong}. Incidentally, I use this filenaming scheme too. As we have multiple bodies, I had to include the camera model as well though to make sure all files are really unique (we had it happen that we both shot at exactly the same time, up to and including the subsecond).

Cheers,
    Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2009, 09:27:25 AM »
Haven't had the problem ever since. So can't help. And I can't remember which files it happened with. Might be just some random system glitch.

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2009, 05:58:00 PM »
Hi All,

I found the problem.  The bug was introduced in 4.5.3.2 during file I/O reorganization and it requires that you turn off the Files tab preference "Add Photoshop resolution info to Camera JPEGs during IPTC update" and also make IPTC changes to a file that has no existing Photoshop resource block (e.g. a JPEG straight from the camera that hasn't been ingested).  Depending on your preferences, changing the color class, tag, or rating will cause the IPTC to update.

This has been fixed in 4.6 and we will have a 4.5.5 update due to the severity of this issue.  For now, just turn on the preference  to add PS resolution (no big deal) and you won't have the corruption problem.

--dennis

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2009, 01:18:25 AM »
I just wanted to be clear that the "Photoshop resource corruption" only affects a few bytes of Photoshop resolution (e.g. DPI) information.  The image data is not affected.  This problem has been fixed in future updates including a 4.5.5 update and in 4.6.  For now if you check the preference to "Add Photoshop resolution to Camera JPEGs during IPTC update" (the default) then you won't encounter this problem.

--dennis

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2009, 04:36:23 AM »
Great you fixed it :-)

That explains why I saw it only once - normally I have always the add DPI switch on, but after getting a new laptop at work and installing PM I forgot to turn it on at first. So that's why I only encountered it once.

Now that's fast support :)