Author Topic: Rate multiple images - bug?  (Read 11353 times)

Offline pmagi

• View Profile
Rate multiple images - bug?
« on: January 02, 2009, 03:06:23 AM »
Selecting sevral images and then pressing for example 4 to rate them (dont use the ALT+4 setting) has no effect. Pressing ALT+4 does but should not with this setting.
Rgds
PM

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Rate multiple images - bug?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 05:03:05 AM »
Selecting sevral images and then pressing for example 4 to rate them (dont use the ALT+4 setting) has no effect. Pressing ALT+4 does but should not with this setting.

No, not a bug.  There are separate keyboard shortcuts for when there is only a single image selected, and for when multiple images are selected.  The plain '4' works when only a single image is selected.

-Kirk

Offline pmagi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 12:26:41 PM »
OK, but why would you want this behaviour?
Rgds
PM

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 01:02:55 PM »
OK, but why would you want this behaviour?

It was requested by people who like to use PM on a laptop while they drive from one assignment to another.  That way they can do everything with one hand.

Really.

-Kirk

Offline pmagi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 05:33:44 AM »
Cool...;-)

But, I think you are refering to why you can use only ´4´with no CTRL, as a rating tool. I was asking why this was not also implemented when you select more than one image...I would like to never have to press CTRL while rating. As it is now its a bit strange, CTRL sometimes, and sometimes not....

Also, I would like the rating and color settings available under the right-click menu.

Rgds
PM

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 06:42:58 AM »
Cool...;-)

But, I think you are refering to why you can use only ´4´with no CTRL, as a rating tool. I was asking why this was not also implemented when you select more than one image...I would like to never have to press CTRL while rating. As it is now its a bit strange, CTRL sometimes, and sometimes not....

Also, I would like the rating and color settings available under the right-click menu.

For this last one, you'll get it in version 4.6.

-Kirk

Offline camerauk

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 03:34:54 PM »
Any idea when 4.6 will be out as my trial will be running out soon and I will more than likely be purchasing PM if I do before the update will i get that free

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 03:58:09 PM »
Any idea when 4.6 will be out as my trial will be running out soon and I will more than likely be purchasing PM if I do before the update will i get that free

I don't have a release date for you.  When you purchase PM you get free upgrades for a full year from the time of your purchase, so even if you purchase 4.5.4 now you'll definitely get 4.6 for free.

-Kirk

Offline pmagi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 01:36:51 AM »
OK, sound great! Please also reconsider if you really have to use CTRL-4 etc to rate multiple files....(I know its a minor thing, but the streamlined UI is what I suspect has drawn more people than me to PM, so any minor streamlining should be considered I think...) Anyway, I will take the opportunity to thank you for a fantastic program, and if you ever do a DAM I will be there, but be sure to include full versioning then, thats a Unique Selling Point of IDImager right now...;-)
Rgds
PM

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 06:38:47 AM »
Anyway, I will take the opportunity to thank you for a fantastic program, and if you ever do a DAM I will be there, but be sure to include full versioning then, thats a Unique Selling Point of IDImager right now...;-)

What does 'full versioning' mean to you?  Explain in detail how a cataloging application provides this feature.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline pmagi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2009, 02:10:01 AM »
OK, basically have a look at the ID Imager application. Then do that with much better speed, better UI and less bugs...;-) That is the only application that is doing it almost fully now.

Currently I am using PM for everyday waork, then IDI to catalog images for later use: printing portfolio images, website etc. The problem is that the best images usually end up having multiple versions in the database. The original RAW file. The edited, the TIF and JPG delivered to the customer. Then the versiopn cropped for portfolio print, the web version, then a year later I probably decide that the portfolio print is not good enough and reprint it a bit darker etc etc.

The trick here is to be able to treat these images both as individuals and as ONE when needed. Each version should keep a reference to all the others. So when I have one thumb I can easily see in a side window all existing versions as thumbs of that image too.

IDI has a bunch of user editable labels/positions so you can tag the versions. I have for example these tags/categories: Original RAW, Edited PSD, Delivered TIF, Delivered JPG, Web JPG, Portfolio Print, and then IDI allows me to ahev a bunch of untagged versions too.

One thing that IDI does wrong according to me is that in a "Collection" of files only ONE version may exist. You can select in the versions window which one you want, but thats not good enough. IDI also has something called "Fast Collections" that allow you to have several versions visible in the collection, and that is the right approach I think. (But "Fast collections" are not stored in the database, so of limited use.)

Then there is the means of finding the verisions, ín IDI there is a bunch of search script available, including look for simillar colors etc etc. I have written a script myself that looks for the longest number in the filename and find files with that same number in the filename (I always keep the original filenumber somewhere in my renamed files).

So, I could write an essay on this...;-)

Let me know if you want more input. Like I said, if you do this well you will beat the competition hands down. There is a lot of talk about versioning in the DAM world, but little available. (IMatch has promised veriosning for some time now). Veriosning keeps me using a slow and buggy application like IDI, it is so valuable when you access your old images!

Rgds
PM
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 12:15:46 AM by pmagi »

Offline pmagi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 12:01:48 PM »
The key would be to do verisioning with the sleek smart UI style of PM. Find out what people do most and make that really fast and easy. Like now I sit and do this reepetedly in IDI:

Make a collection of images for web publication.

Loop:
Find that some of them are RAW files that would need some processing.
Open a RAW file in the collection with Photoshop (ACR), and save it as a TIF in the same folder as the RAW.
Go back to IDI.
Search for the TIF in the RAW folder (using Version Wizard) and add it to the database and as a version of the RAW.
Change the collection to now include the edited TIF and not the RAW.
Endloop.

Publish the edited collection to web.

(And since this is IDI, every step requires an amount of clicking, and then there are a few bugs I constantly have to work around...;-)

This must be a very common workflow that could be streamlined a lot....

Rgds
PM

« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 12:32:26 PM by pmagi »