Author Topic: How unsupported do "Unsupported Format Variant's" have to be?  (Read 4135 times)

Offline rcohn

• View Profile
How unsupported do "Unsupported Format Variant's" have to be?
« on: January 12, 2009, 12:10:51 PM »
As a side note: When checking the PM PDF Manual the word "unsupported" does not show up in a word search, so I assume there's no discussion there of this. I think it's an omission that should be addressed. The following is what I've deduced from this forum.

As I understand it PM uses Quicktime to render files (at least on the Mac), so any file that Quicktime can't render is shown as "Unsupported". I believe this includes psd files over a certain megabyte size and/or pixel dimension and images in the LAB color space, plus a few other file types? For example, I currently have a layered .psd file that's just over 1 Gb (shows as 1.05 Gb in finder) that is 6178 px wide which previews as "Unsupported". I presume this is just over what Quicktime will render. I also use LAB frequently enough that I wish there were some limited support.

I have some questions/suggestions:

1. Would it be possible to have PM use the embedded preview instead of a black frame? Preferably with the words "Unsupported Format Variant" over the thumbnail.

2. Would it be possible to keep some of PM's functionality with these files? Specifically:

a. The ability to open the original by Control-Clicking on the thumbnail to bring up the PM choices. Currently the dialog comes up, but when I choose "Edit Original" nothing happens- forcing me to either go to the file in the Finder and open it from there (Control-Click does work for this), or switch to Bridge.

b. The ability to embed metadata. I don't think it's currently possible to copy metadata from a supported file and embed it in an unsupported file? Again, the only work around I can see is to open the images in Bridge and to figure out how to copy and paste this info from there. I currently don't know how to do this and I really don't want to have to learn how. I may be wrong, but I don't think embedding metadata has anything to do with Quicktime limitations?

Thanks,

Ric

OS 10.4.11, PM 4.5.4

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: How unsupported do "Unsupported Format Variant's" have to be?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 12:59:49 PM »
Ric,

As a side note: When checking the PM PDF Manual the word "unsupported" does not show up in a word search, so I assume there's no discussion there of this. I think it's an omission that should be addressed. The following is what I've deduced from this forum.

As I understand it PM uses Quicktime to render files (at least on the Mac), so any file that Quicktime can't render is shown as "Unsupported". I believe this includes psd files over a certain megabyte size and/or pixel dimension and images in the LAB color space, plus a few other file types? For example, I currently have a layered .psd file that's just over 1 Gb (shows as 1.05 Gb in finder) that is 6178 px wide which previews as "Unsupported". I presume this is just over what Quicktime will render. I also use LAB frequently enough that I wish there were some limited support.

I have some questions/suggestions:

1. Would it be possible to have PM use the embedded preview instead of a black frame? Preferably with the words "Unsupported Format Variant" over the thumbnail.

QuickTime is currently used on both Mac OS X and Windows to load and render PSD files.  QuickTime is indeed loading the composite layer which is the closest thing to an embedded preview that you'll find in a PSD file.  The resolution of your larger files are just beyond the limits of QuickTime's ability to load them.  We mark them as unsupported because the alternative to doing this is to pass the files off to QuickTime anyway which causes QuickTime to crash Photo Mechanic.

Quote from: rcohn
2. Would it be possible to keep some of PM's functionality with these files? Specifically:

a. The ability to open the original by Control-Clicking on the thumbnail to bring up the PM choices. Currently the dialog comes up, but when I choose "Edit Original" nothing happens- forcing me to either go to the file in the Finder and open it from there (Control-Click does work for this), or switch to Bridge.

b. The ability to embed metadata. I don't think it's currently possible to copy metadata from a supported file and embed it in an unsupported file? Again, the only work around I can see is to open the images in Bridge and to figure out how to copy and paste this info from there. I currently don't know how to do this and I really don't want to have to learn how. I may be wrong, but I don't think embedding metadata has anything to do with Quicktime limitations?

It shouldn't but because of the way the files are treated by PM internally when they can't be loaded means that they're treated as 'images that have errors in them' and those functions are disabled.  I'll see what I can do to make non-imaging functionality be allowed on unsupported variants.

-Kirk

Offline rcohn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 05:38:36 PM »

We mark them as unsupported because the alternative to doing this is to pass the files off to QuickTime anyway which causes QuickTime to crash Photo Mechanic.

It shouldn't but because of the way the files are treated by PM internally when they can't be loaded means that they're treated as 'images that have errors in them' and those functions are disabled.  I'll see what I can do to make non-imaging functionality be allowed on unsupported variants.

Thanks Kirk,

Your answer may be the same, but I should have asked for the embedded Thumbnail (the little preview used by the Finder) not the full size composite. This would, of course, be very pixilated, but it would be better than nothing.

For me this preview is less important than the support for non-imaging functionality, so thanks for seeing if this can be allowed in a future release!

Ric

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 07:32:36 PM »
Ric,

We mark them as unsupported because the alternative to doing this is to pass the files off to QuickTime anyway which causes QuickTime to crash Photo Mechanic.

Thanks Kirk,

Your answer may be the same, but I should have asked for the embedded Thumbnail (the little preview used by the Finder) not the full size composite. This would, of course, be very pixilated, but it would be better than nothing.

For me this preview is less important than the support for non-imaging functionality, so thanks for seeing if this can be allowed in a future release!

I just added the ability to do the other non-imaging tasks to version 4.6 today.

-Kirk

Offline rcohn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 12:22:42 PM »
Kirk,

Thanks, that's so great that you could take care of this so quickly! Looking forward to 4.6.

Ric