Author Topic: PDF display/preview in PM  (Read 9257 times)

Offline craig pulsifer

• View Profile
PDF display/preview in PM
« on: July 06, 2006, 10:55:37 AM »
Wondering if it's possible to display PDF and EPS file types in PM?  What of other "illustration-types"?  Even if actual preview were not possible, it would be significant to show a file-type icon, similar to the way .wav files are displayed now.  Reason being, as we rely more and more on PM as our "graphic librarian" it becomes a pain to toggle between browsers for complex graphic files and the image files used to create them.  Again, full display would not be necessary, but knowing something was there (i.e. generic icon) would be a plus.

Craig
www.craigpulsifer.com

Offline dbrouse

• View Profile
    • DC Corporate Headshots
Re: PDF display/preview in PM
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 11:43:55 AM »
I'll second that request...and I think that Kirk has mentioned something about this in the past. 

D
Delane B. Rouse/Rouse Photography Group, LLC
Mac OS: Version 10.7.4, Build 12713

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 12:34:55 PM »
Craig,

Wondering if it's possible to display PDF and EPS file types in PM?  What of other "illustration-types"?  Even if actual preview were not possible, it would be significant to show a file-type icon, similar to the way .wav files are displayed now.  Reason being, as we rely more and more on PM as our "graphic librarian" it becomes a pain to toggle between browsers for complex graphic files and the image files used to create them.  Again, full display would not be necessary, but knowing something was there (i.e. generic icon) would be a plus.

We currently do display EPS-TIFF files (EPS files that have a TIFF preview in them).

I think that a solution may be to have a dialog where you can list the file extensions of all file types that you want Photo Mechanic to have a "proxy" thumbnail for.  You wouldn't be able to do much with them besides copy/move, rename and delete.  But maybe this would be good enough?

-Kirk

Offline dbrouse

• View Profile
    • DC Corporate Headshots
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 05:21:21 PM »
As long as I could burn them to CD and use them in a web gallery I'd be fine. I output my contact sheets as PDF's (via the PRINT option on OS X) and typically burn them to CD for my clients. Would that be possible?

D
Delane B. Rouse/Rouse Photography Group, LLC
Mac OS: Version 10.7.4, Build 12713

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 07:51:39 PM »
Delane,

As long as I could burn them to CD and use them in a web gallery I'd be fine. I output my contact sheets as PDF's (via the PRINT option on OS X) and typically burn them to CD for my clients. Would that be possible?

The disc burning facility should be able to handle it.

-Kirk

Offline craig pulsifer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2006, 07:50:48 AM »

I think that a solution may be to have a dialog where you can list the file extensions of all file types that you want Photo Mechanic to have a "proxy" thumbnail for.  You wouldn't be able to do much with them besides copy/move, rename and delete.  But maybe this would be good enough?

-Kirk

Yes, that'd serve the need very nicely.  The preview thumbnail is great when available, but the generic file type icon should display in the absence of a preview thumb.  Thanks for considering this.

Craig