Author Topic: Updating of changes to Caption and rating from LR  (Read 2402 times)

Offline masplin

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Updating of changes to Caption and rating from LR
« on: January 08, 2009, 08:06:26 AM »
If I change the file name of a RAW file in LR it immediately appears in PM. If I  change the caption or rating I cannot get it appear at all in PM (althought it picked up the original settings when first used). I am using the "save metadata to file" in LR which is saving to the XMP sidecar. Sure this is  working ok as if I read info back it doesn't change. Do I need to do something to make PM pick up the changes to sidecar data or change some preferences?  i am running 4.5.4 vista home premium.  I just had to reboot my machine and PM still sees the old details.

Was going to paste in my preferences tab but can't work out how to do it!

Offline masplin

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Updating of changes to Caption and rating from LR
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 08:24:21 AM »
answered my own question but think it is  bug. In the preferences I had "read xmp sidecar file" as 3rd choice for TIF based RAW. Making it the 1st choice instead of "read embedded IPTC" seems to work.

for writing IPTC/XMP I have "add embedded IPTC" ticked. Is that correct for RAW files which have sidecars or should i untick or tick IPTC4XMP (no idea what that is)?

Basically trying to move back and forth betwene PM and LR with RAW files and associated xmp sidecars.  thanks any advice on correct setup

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 08:57:22 AM »
answered my own question but think it is  bug. In the preferences I had "read xmp sidecar file" as 3rd choice for TIF based RAW. Making it the 1st choice instead of "read embedded IPTC" seems to work.

for writing IPTC/XMP I have "add embedded IPTC" ticked. Is that correct for RAW files which have sidecars or should i untick or tick IPTC4XMP (no idea what that is)?

Basically trying to move back and forth betwene PM and LR with RAW files and associated xmp sidecars.  thanks any advice on correct setup

There is no bug with what you've described.

If you're using Adobe products, you definitely don't want to embed IPTC4XMP into your TIFF-based RAW files.  Embedding IPTC is OK, but really is unnecessary since the XMP sidecar file will have all the metadata that IPTC has anyway.

-Kirk

Offline masplin

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 11:17:41 AM »
So why can't it pick up the xmp data when I have it as third choice?  Presumably a RAw file with xmp sidecar has no XMP/IPTC data embedded in it so I would have expected it to go to the 3rd choice and read the sidecar?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 12:41:34 PM »
So why can't it pick up the xmp data when I have it as third choice?  Presumably a RAw file with xmp sidecar has no XMP/IPTC data embedded in it so I would have expected it to go to the 3rd choice and read the sidecar?

Make the XMP sidecar file be the first choice.  It should work much better.

-Kirk