Author Topic: New variable Request - Random Number  (Read 3165 times)

Offline FairfieldPhoto

• View Profile
    • Fairfield Photography, LLC
New variable Request - Random Number
« on: January 04, 2009, 08:08:04 PM »
Hi!
One of the steps in my workflow is to create an Animoto slideshow of selected images from an event.  I would like to have a random number variable so that when I do a "save as" with the selected images, I can pre-pend the random number to the image name and mix up the sequence of the images instead of having them displayed in sequential order.

Ideally, I could specify the number of digits (up to some max) such as {rand,4} for a 4 digit random number, etc.

I admit it is probably a pretty narrow use, but it would save me some time in the end having to manually move images around in the slow lightbox on Animoto.

Thanks!

-Mike

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
Re: New variable Request - Random Number
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 08:49:17 PM »
Until this gets implemented maybe you can use some sort of uncontinous value insted of the random number. Maybe seconds and subseconts or image sizes or similar values used combined.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: New variable Request - Random Number
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 10:01:31 PM »
Mike,

One of the steps in my workflow is to create an Animoto slideshow of selected images from an event.  I would like to have a random number variable so that when I do a "save as" with the selected images, I can pre-pend the random number to the image name and mix up the sequence of the images instead of having them displayed in sequential order.

Ideally, I could specify the number of digits (up to some max) such as {rand,4} for a 4 digit random number, etc.

I admit it is probably a pretty narrow use, but it would save me some time in the end having to manually move images around in the slow lightbox on Animoto.

I added {rand10} (numbers between 01 and 10)
and {rand100} (numbers between 001 and 100)
and {rand1000} (numbers between 0001 and 1000) to version 4.6

Hopefully these will be of use to you.  I didn't want to use your syntax since it may confuse some users about the substring extraction syntax already in place.

-Kirk