Author Topic: Saving Searches to New Contact Sheet  (Read 3109 times)

Offline OldandGrim

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Saving Searches to New Contact Sheet
« on: January 12, 2009, 03:28:58 PM »
Ok so I have used the sort function and various filters to isolate a number of photos across 50 folders created within the last three months. Great these are now the photos I intend to work with for the rest of the month. How do I now save that contact sheet without moving the originals ie copy to a new folder. All I want is a favorites folder or a saved contact sheet which I can now open quickly without going through the search and filter operation each time i go looking for another photo. The remember folders option is not available as I have come via the sort function. Is there a suggested workflow for this kind of operation.

PM 4.5.4 Imac G5 os x tiger 10.4.11
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 03:31:03 PM by OldandGrim »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Saving Searches to New Contact Sheet
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 03:46:05 PM »
Ok so I have used the sort function and various filters to isolate a number of photos across 50 folders created within the last three months. Great these are now the photos I intend to work with for the rest of the month. How do I now save that contact sheet without moving the originals ie copy to a new folder. All I want is a favorites folder or a saved contact sheet which I can now open quickly without going through the search and filter operation each time i go looking for another photo. The remember folders option is not available as I have come via the sort function. Is there a suggested workflow for this kind of operation.

PM 4.5.4 Imac G5 os x tiger 10.4.11

There is currently no way to do what you're asking.  I had planned to add a "Save Project as Favorite" command that would remember the current set of folders in each tab and the Sort and filter settings for each tab as a Favorite that could be opened later in version 4.6 but it isn't going to make it into the initial 4.6 release.  I hope to get it into one of the updates to version 4.6.

-Kirk

Offline OldandGrim

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 04:03:01 PM »
Much Appreciated that would be a great feature.

One quick question when I do a Search using the "captured after" and then by "Photographer" ie my name the search omits one folder within the time frame if I remove the search by "Photographer" it brings up the folder.

I have checked the iptc info for the files within that folder that they contain the same info as all the other folders any ideas? 
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 04:05:04 PM by OldandGrim »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 04:12:17 PM »
Much Appreciated that would be a great feature.

One quick question when I do a Search using the "captured after" and then by "Photographer" ie my name the search omits one folder within the time frame if I remove the search by "Photographer" it brings up the folder.

I have checked the iptc info for the files within that folder that they contain the same info as all the other folders any ideas? 

It's a bug.  Set the date one day earlier.  I've fixed this in version 4.6.

-Kirk

Offline OldandGrim

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 06:27:43 PM »
Thanks I know I have a million questions today please point me to the right place if this is not the correct place to ask?

Ok I now have my contact sheet with all the files I want to edit for this month but how do I get Capture Nx2 to see my selection? I do not want to send them to be edited but want to run a batch process from within Nx2. To do this I need to point Nx2 to a folder? The only work around that I can think of which is not Ideal would be to copy my selection of files and place them in a single folder for the month would that be correct?.

The Save Project as a favorite option which would act as a link for external editors to find the appropriate files would be great? is that possible? 

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 07:34:01 PM »
Thanks I know I have a million questions today please point me to the right place if this is not the correct place to ask?

Ok I now have my contact sheet with all the files I want to edit for this month but how do I get Capture Nx2 to see my selection? I do not want to send them to be edited but want to run a batch process from within Nx2. To do this I need to point Nx2 to a folder? The only work around that I can think of which is not Ideal would be to copy my selection of files and place them in a single folder for the month would that be correct?.

The Save Project as a favorite option which would act as a link for external editors to find the appropriate files would be great? is that possible? 

There is no cross-application way of doing what you're describing.  We have to pass a list of file names from PM to the external applications.

-Kirk