Author Topic: Colour setting  (Read 3564 times)

Offline camerauk

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Colour setting
« on: January 14, 2009, 11:56:10 AM »
Hi
I do not know a lot about colour profiling here goes I have just got a new macbook and using trial PM what is the best way to set up the colour starting with the macbook, I dont have profiling software should i just leave it on colour LCD profile that it is set on as standard or change it to one of the others?
Then what do I set PM to? its on No default profile at the moment
I am shooting on a Nikon D3 with the settings on RGB is it better to set this on sRGB?
any help would be great
many thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Colour setting
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 12:05:58 PM »
I do not know a lot about colour profiling here goes I have just got a new macbook and using trial PM what is the best way to set up the colour starting with the macbook, I dont have profiling software should i just leave it on colour LCD profile that it is set on as standard or change it to one of the others?

Leave it as is until you get some color calibration hardware.  Apple has provided the profile that you're using as a default for your screen which should be reasonably accurate.

Quote from: camerauk
Then what do I set PM to? its on No default profile at the moment

That setting just tells PM what profile to use when an image contains no ICC profile information.  If a given image has profile information in it then this setting is ignored anyway.

Quote from: camerauk
I am shooting on a Nikon D3 with the settings on RGB is it better to set this on sRGB?

Do you mean Adobe RGB, perhaps?  Adobe RGB has a larger gamut of colors than sRGB.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline camerauk

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 12:11:43 PM »
Thanks yes I did mean Adobe RGB
many thanks i was not sure if i should be setting PM to use a colour profile
I will leave as it is until I get a profiling tool, do the new LCD macbook screens calibrate well

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 12:25:40 PM »
Thanks yes I did mean Adobe RGB
many thanks i was not sure if i should be setting PM to use a colour profile
I will leave as it is until I get a profiling tool, do the new LCD macbook screens calibrate well

Any screen can be calibrated.  What you want is a display that has a large gamut.  I don't think even the latest Apple laptops have a gamut as large as Adobe RGB yet.  But they're decent.

-Kirk

Offline camerauk

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 03:33:37 PM »
Many thanks I will get my screen calibrated