Author Topic: 5D markII - RAW Embedded JPG ICC problem  (Read 5369 times)

Offline pmagi

• View Profile
5D markII - RAW Embedded JPG ICC problem
« on: January 21, 2009, 11:35:06 AM »
I think this may be a Canon problem, not PM:

When shooting RAW+JPG with the 5Dmkii set to AdobeRGB then looking at them in PM with color management ON:

The embedded JPG looks flat and PM reports it as sRGB. The separate JPG looks correct and PM reports it as AdobeRGB.

Turning off color management in PM makes them look the same. So it seems the only problem is that the embedded JPG is intrepreted as sRGB while it really is stored in AdobeRGB. It could be the camera doing this error....or PM....

I tried setting default profile in PM to both sRGB and AdobeRGb but with the same results.

The 5DmkiII is embedding a full size JPG in the RAW, so the RAW+JPG is really not needed, and I want to use only RAW, but then all images look way too flat (looking at the embedded preview). One solution could be to set the camera to sRGB, but I really dont like that....(and have not tried it).

Rgds
PM

Offline pmagi

• View Profile
Re: 5D markII - RAW Embedded JPG ICC problem
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 02:21:29 PM »
I start to suspect this is a PM issue after all:

Shooting RAW+JPG with AdobeRGB set in camera will result in the CR2 embedded JPG file interpreted as sRGB by PM (viewing or extracting it) but the external JPG is correctly interpreted as AdobeRGB. The actual embedded JPG pixel data is AdobeRGB data, so colors will display wrong for the embedded JPG when viewing or extracting it.

I have PM set to assume AdobeRGB if undetermined.

Looking at the CR2 in Breezebrowser say its AdobeRGB, correctly.

In Bridge the JPG is AdobeRGB, but for the CR2 ICC profile is not specified (not there or Bridge cant read it).

Rgds
PM

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 03:52:17 PM »
I start to suspect this is a PM issue after all:

Shooting RAW+JPG with AdobeRGB set in camera will result in the CR2 embedded JPG file interpreted as sRGB by PM (viewing or extracting it) but the external JPG is correctly interpreted as AdobeRGB. The actual embedded JPG pixel data is AdobeRGB data, so colors will display wrong for the embedded JPG when viewing or extracting it.

I have PM set to assume AdobeRGB if undetermined.

Looking at the CR2 in Breezebrowser say its AdobeRGB, correctly.

In Bridge the JPG is AdobeRGB, but for the CR2 ICC profile is not specified (not there or Bridge cant read it).

This has been fixed in the upcoming 4.6 release.

Thanks for the heads-up.

-Kirk

Offline pmagi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 04:23:03 AM »
Great thanks!

It could be interesting to know: Was the problem that PM interpreted the embedded ICC info wrong, or was it that there is no embedded ICC info and PM then failed to assign the correct default profile?

Rgds
PM

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 07:15:07 PM »
The problem was that PM didn't recognize the special Canon maker note tag which denotes the color space.  Some raw formats have embedded previews that are always in sRGB regardless of the color space of the image.  Of course RAW files don't really have an ICC profile until they are rendered, but in certain camera models (e.g. latest Canon cameras) there is a maker note tag that specifies the color space of the preview.  We now recognize this (we actually had this tag for older CRW Canon models but for some reason it wasn't moved to CR2 formats).

--dennis

Offline pmagi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 04:34:55 AM »
OK. Then it seems Adobe Bridge might have the same problem....
Rgds
PM