Author Topic: Slow file closure time  (Read 3962 times)

Offline BillG

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Slow file closure time
« on: January 25, 2009, 02:33:03 PM »
I am running Photo Mechanic version 4.5.4 on a Windows Vista 64 OS  with an Intel I7 920 and 6GB of memory, with lots of hdd storage, over 3TB available.  I am having a problem with the time it takes to close the file after a copy operation, and also trying to make a new folder.  I just timed the time it took to close the transfer of 6 images from a cf card and it took 2 minutes and 40 seconds after the indication that all of the images had completed the copy transfer.  It is being copied directly to my internal HDD.  This is not intermittand and takes a very long time after each try.  I am using the copy command.

I am not certain how to go about resolving this problem.  Any suggestions and/or comments would be appreciated.  I have no problem with creating folders or copying files directly with the Vista basic commands, my computer, copy, paste, etc.

Thanks for your help

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Slow file closure time
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 03:33:33 PM »
I am running Photo Mechanic version 4.5.4 on a Windows Vista 64 OS  with an Intel I7 920 and 6GB of memory, with lots of hdd storage, over 3TB available.  I am having a problem with the time it takes to close the file after a copy operation, and also trying to make a new folder.  I just timed the time it took to close the transfer of 6 images from a cf card and it took 2 minutes and 40 seconds after the indication that all of the images had completed the copy transfer.  It is being copied directly to my internal HDD.  This is not intermittand and takes a very long time after each try.  I am using the copy command.

I am not certain how to go about resolving this problem.  Any suggestions and/or comments would be appreciated.  I have no problem with creating folders or copying files directly with the Vista basic commands, my computer, copy, paste, etc.

The copy operation refreshes the Navigator when it completes.  Do you have a lot of folders expanded in the Navigator?  Are any of them on slow server volumes?

-Kirk

Offline BillG

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 04:34:19 PM »
No, I don't have anything extra-ordinary open.  Usually just my Outlook application and most of the time Capture One for processing my images.  The only thing exotic that I have is Network Magic by Cisco that allows me to have my networked computers operate and be able to see/share folders accross my Vista and XP and Mac machines.

Offline BillG

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 04:40:42 PM »
I have also noticed that I have the same issue when I try and create a new folder.  I have the time delay before the folder name box appears, and again the delay when I enter after typing the folder name.. I hope this helps.  I usually import about 400-1000 images into a single folder then sort/move them into sub folders.  This problem  has a large negative impact on my workflow.  I work only from my internal hard drives, so nothing is active to a server or networked device.  My network is running at 1gb
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 04:56:41 PM by BillG »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 05:04:46 PM »
I have also noticed that I have the same issue when I try and create a new folder.  I have the time delay before the folder name box appears, and again the delay when I enter after typing the folder name.. I hope this helps.  I usually import about 400-1000 images into a single folder then sort/move them into sub folders.  This problem  has a large negative impact on my workflow.  I work only from my internal hard drives, so nothing is active to a server or networked device.  My network is running at 1gb

The only thing I can offer is to build you a debug log version of Photo Mechanic, have you put it through its paces and then study the logs to see where the time is being spent.  Please click on my name to the left of this message, then click on the 'personal message' link if you want to investigate further.

-Kirk