Author Topic: 4.6 beta comments  (Read 67007 times)

Offline pmagi

• View Profile
4.6 beta comments
« on: January 27, 2009, 02:00:12 AM »
Wow! Thanks, most of the things I have noticed seems to have been taken care of!

Only really missing HTML FTP Upload (but you did mention you planned it but dropped it this time, hope for next release!).

The thumbs 100% click-zoom is great and innovative! Perhaps you could include it in the preview mode too?

It seems a bit slower than going between 100% zoomed previews, is that due to the impossible caching only, or dont you use the previews for the new zoom?

Rgds
PM

Offline SamFrost

• View Profile
    • Sam Frost Photography
Re: 4.6 beta comments
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 04:07:43 AM »
The loupe is great, and very nicely implemented too :)  However, if my cursor is in loupe mode, there does not seem to be a way of then using the cursor to select any images in the contact sheet without changing mode again.  Would it possible to make it so that pressing a modifier key (would the Option key work?) while clicking temporarily swaps the current function of the cursor?  Or even better using the third mouse button for loupe?

Offline miguelr

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 06:25:17 AM »
Some comments after quick look:

I lost all the ftp settings.There is any way to import to the new version?

If you are on loupe mode and hover the mouse on top or bottom on the frame (same times a little tricky), automatically switch to cursor mode and you can select, doble click to open, rename, like before. Can the behavior include the whole frame and you don't need to switch manually?

Smugmug uploader worked very good.

Love the ftp status of transmition

Great Upgrade!!

Regards
MR
on Windows XP Pro

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 07:12:15 AM »
Wow! Thanks, most of the things I have noticed seems to have been taken care of!

Only really missing HTML FTP Upload (but you did mention you planned it but dropped it this time, hope for next release!).

The thumbs 100% click-zoom is great and innovative! Perhaps you could include it in the preview mode too?

It seems a bit slower than going between 100% zoomed previews, is that due to the impossible caching only, or dont you use the previews for the new zoom?

Yes, precaching in the Contact Sheet is impossible.  You can click on any photo at any time.  We cannot 'guess' which one you'll click on in advance.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 07:13:14 AM »
The loupe is great, and very nicely implemented too :)  However, if my cursor is in loupe mode, there does not seem to be a way of then using the cursor to select any images in the contact sheet without changing mode again.  Would it possible to make it so that pressing a modifier key (would the Option key work?) while clicking temporarily swaps the current function of the cursor?  Or even better using the third mouse button for loupe?

Just click on the area below the thumbnail area.  The photo will select.

Also, the 'z' key will toggle you out of Loupe cursor mode.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 07:18:23 AM »
Some comments after quick look:

I lost all the ftp settings.There is any way to import to the new version?

That shouldn't happen.  Your old settings should just automatically be there.  We'll look into that one.

Quote from: miguelr
If you are on loupe mode and hover the mouse on top or bottom on the frame (same times a little tricky), automatically switch to cursor mode and you can select, doble click to open, rename, like before. Can the behavior include the whole frame and you don't need to switch manually?

I don't think people have the patience to wait for the mode to change.  The only feature that is lost when in Loupe mode is the 'double-click edits/previews'.  You can always click on the Preview hover button, and 'e' will edit the photo if you have it selected.  Right-clicking will bring up a contextual menu where you can edit if you didn't want to select the photo first.

Smugmug uploader worked very good.

Great.

-Kirk

Offline SamFrost

• View Profile
    • Sam Frost Photography
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 07:31:03 AM »
The only feature that is lost when in Loupe mode is the 'double-click edits/previews'. 

Which is of course how I tend to use it :(

Me too :)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 08:08:24 AM »
Sam,

The only feature that is lost when in Loupe mode is the 'double-click edits/previews'. 

OK, well since you were willing to hold down the Option key, why not press 'z' then to just change back to 'Selection' mode?

-Kirk

Offline SamFrost

• View Profile
    • Sam Frost Photography
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 08:55:41 AM »
Sam,

OK, well since you were willing to hold down the Option key, why not press 'z' then to just change back to 'Selection' mode?

-Kirk

I shall get used to this I'm sure.  It's just new, so feels unfamilar.  But so was the whole of PM once!  I just hadn't realised the Z-shortcut initially :)

It is another great feature for PM.  I keep trying the various Lightroom  / Aperture apps out there, but they cannot compare with PM for browsing, editing, captioning, sorting, sending and saving images.  4.6 is just the next step in its evolution.

Offline miguelr

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 09:09:26 AM »
Kirk:

I lost my ftp settigs on my main computer but not on the laptop.

If you doble click (on loupe mode) on the thumbnail, you can edit the picture.

Regards
MR
On WinXp Pro

Offline rcohn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009, 05:33:22 PM »
I'll add my 4.6 beta comments here too. Kudos for all the user requested changes! Especially the ability to add metadata to images that PM can't view, and to ability to Tab from file name to file name when renaming!

Also, I can't wait to try out the new Live Ingest. I'll try shooting tethered with it as soon as I get the chance- maybe tomorrow!

Two things I noticed when using the Beta which may actually be unchanged, but I never noticed before:

1. Images in Lab mode show the thumbnail, but not a higher rez view. When I first view them in the Preview window the images briefly shows as a pixelated enlargement and then switches to the Black Unsupported message. Any reason this pixelated thumbnail shouldn't stay with an "Unsupported" or "Unable to Render" message over it?

2. Images in CMYK look correct in the thumbnail, but are much too dark in the Preview (or Loop view, which looks the same). Has this always been true and I've never noticed, or is it possible to fix PM to show CMYK correctly?

I know I've asked this before, but both of these make me wonder again if there isn't a low rez image icon embedded in psd's tiff's and jpeg's that can be accessed separately from the full size preview. Isn't there a 128 px thumbnail that is used by the Mac OS finder? If so couldn't this be used for those images that are too large to show with Quicktime? Ideally with a message something like "full size preview not supported" over it in red so users know it's not a mistake.

In any case, thanks for a terrific upgrade!

Ric

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 05:48:18 PM »
Ric,

Two things I noticed when using the Beta which may actually be unchanged, but I never noticed before:

1. Images in Lab mode show the thumbnail, but not a higher rez view. When I first view them in the Preview window the images briefly shows as a pixelated enlargement and then switches to the Black Unsupported message. Any reason this pixelated thumbnail shouldn't stay with an "Unsupported" or "Unable to Render" message over it?

What file format is this file?  Can you share a sample file with us?  Please click on my name to the left of this message, then click on the 'personal message' link.  I will respond with upload instructions.

Quote from: rcohn
2. Images in CMYK look correct in the thumbnail, but are much too dark in the Preview (or Loop view, which looks the same). Has this always been true and I've never noticed, or is it possible to fix PM to show CMYK correctly?

What file format is this file?  Can you share a sample file with us?  Please click on my name to the left of this message, then click on the 'personal message' link.  I will respond with upload instructions.

Quote from: rcohn
I know I've asked this before, but both of these make me wonder again if there isn't a low rez image icon embedded in psd's tiff's and jpeg's that can be accessed separately from the full size preview. Isn't there a 128 px thumbnail that is used by the Mac OS finder? If so couldn't this be used for those images that are too large to show with Quicktime? Ideally with a message something like "full size preview not supported" over it in red so users know it's not a mistake.

There isn't always a Finder Icon associated with the file.  Also, this wouldn't work at all on Windows.  The real solution is to stop using QuickTime for PSD rendering and use our own solution.  We still haven't completed that work yet.

-Kirk

Offline oryk

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2009, 03:05:44 AM »
Hello,

it would be helpfull to see the <FTP Connection Setting Name> in the <File Uploader> window.

-Oryk
-Oryk

( MAC, OS 10.13.6 )

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2009, 06:29:43 AM »
Oryk,

it would be helpfull to see the <FTP Connection Setting Name> in the <File Uploader> window.

In the Upload progress dialog?

-Kirk

Offline Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2009, 06:43:50 AM »
Oryk,
You can re size the File Uploader box down, it's there.
I made the same mistake;)