Author Topic: 4.6 beta comments  (Read 66991 times)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: 4.6 beta comments
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2009, 09:16:14 PM »
Sorry, I think you have misunderstood my question about the difference between the 'FTP As' and 'Upload dialog'. Both commands appear to open the same dialog.

And if you removed the 'FTP As' menu item and shortcut, I would get upset !

They do open up the same dialog.  The difference is that when the FTP As command is used the Upload dialog is preset to show the FTP template, no matter what the last template you used was.  It's subtle, I know, but it makes the Upload dialog function like a dedicated FTP As dialog.

-Kirk

Offline Ben Curtis

• View Profile
    • Snappertalk blog
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2009, 01:09:10 AM »

Can you post a screenshot of the multiple Upload progress dialogs?  Please arrange the windows so their entire title bars can be seen.

Kirk... I know it happened but I am now unable to reproduce this error. All FTP uploads now use the same window, as normal. It may have just been a glitch.
One other thing that happened when I FTP'd for the first time in 4.6 is the transfer stalled (perhaps my FTP server) and an error warning and sound came up (in a different dialog to the upload dialog) telling me the transfer had stalled, but the warning spawned into 39 separate windows which I had to close individually. The multiple upload dialogs may have been a remnant of that instability. Needless to say I'm unable to replicate that problem either.
If either do reoccur, I'll be sure to send you screenshots. Thanks.

Offline nmf

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2009, 01:21:36 AM »
"They do open up the same dialog.  The difference is ...  It's subtle, I know, but it makes the Upload dialog function like a dedicated FTP As dialog."

Thanks for the explanation, I'll look into it further.

Offline Brendan

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2009, 06:46:43 AM »
howto import Settings (IPTC pads) and FTP connections from 4.5?

I installed a fresh vista installation and then PM 4.6.

It didnt work with the key \FTPConnSettingsDat

using the latest version of PM on win10

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2009, 07:02:00 AM »
howto import Settings (IPTC pads) and FTP connections from 4.5?

I installed a fresh vista installation and then PM 4.6.

It didnt work with the key \FTPConnSettingsDat

Version 4.6 no longer uses the Windows Registry for most of its settings.  It should automatically pickup your settings.  Is it not picking up your settings from 4.5.x?

-Kirk

Offline Brendan

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2009, 07:08:12 AM »
  Is it not picking up your settings from 4.5.x?

no because its a fresh vista installation, no PM before.

(only on the laptop)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2009, 07:59:36 AM »
  Is it not picking up your settings from 4.5.x?

no because its a fresh vista installation, no PM before.

(only on the laptop)

Then I suppose if you exported all of Photo Mechanic 4.5.x's Windows Registry keys from your other system and then imported them before you had ever installed and ran version 4.6 on your laptop then the settings would transfer.  It's too late for that now.  But you can Export your settings on your other system with version 4.6 and then Import those settings with version 4.6 on your laptop.

-Kirk
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 07:00:23 AM by Kirk Baker »

Offline OldandGrim

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2009, 03:28:39 AM »
Just my 2 cents worth, the new search options to limit search to specific locations is brilliant the more I use PM the more I love it. Having implemented Structured keywords to all my images today which took no time at all with the Structured keyword editor I find I can bring up any combination of images I want and save them to a search in favorites.  ;D

Offline muzdav

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Murray Davidson Photography
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2009, 04:39:39 AM »
I've found a potential bug with the Save Photo As... function in 4.6.  I was reducing a bunch of shots from various folders down to email and on a quick preview found that areas of lost shadow had become white.  This happened in a number of shots.  I tried different JPEG save levels and turning subsample chroma and sharpening on and off but no difference.  I eventually reverted to 4.5.4 and it reduced the shots just fine.  The effect was there when both saving from a NEF preview and JPG files.

And another thing, when I have NEF files (without accompanying JPG files) selected and right click, the Save Photo As... option is not given.  I have to either use Ctrl S or use the File menu.    Is this deliberate?  The ability to save directly from NEFs is fantastic, by why not implement it fully?

Thanks

Murray

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 04:58:38 AM by muzdav »

Offline Brendan

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2009, 04:51:21 AM »
But you can Export your settings on your other system with version 4.6 and then Import those settings with version 4.6 on your laptop.

ok from the beginning:

I have:

- Laptop:  PM 4.5 with all my settings

- New Vista: with fresh 4.6

I guess I have to update the laptop-4.5 to 4.6 and then use the new export/import feature?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2009, 07:02:38 AM »
Murray,

I've found a potential bug with the Save Photo As... function in 4.6.  I was reducing a bunch of shots from various folders down to email and on a quick preview found that areas of lost shadow had become white.  This happened in a number of shots.  I tried different JPEG save levels and turning subsample chroma and sharpening on and off but no difference.  I eventually reverted to 4.5.4 and it reduced the shots just fine.  The effect was there when both saving from a NEF preview and JPG files.

We've already identified the cause of this issue and have fixed it for the next beta release.

Quote from: muzdav
And another thing, when I have NEF files (without accompanying JPG files) selected and right click, the Save Photo As... option is not given.  I have to either use Ctrl S or use the File menu.    Is this deliberate?  The ability to save directly from NEFs is fantastic, by why not implement it fully?

It's an oversight.  I'll fix that right away.  Thanks for the heads-up.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2009, 07:03:10 AM »
But you can Export your settings on your other system with version 4.6 and then Import those settings with version 4.6 on your laptop.

ok from the beginning:

I have:

- Laptop:  PM 4.5 with all my settings

- New Vista: with fresh 4.6

I guess I have to update the laptop-4.5 to 4.6 and then use the new export/import feature?

Correct.

-Kirk

Offline dell2405

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2009, 05:50:56 AM »
<Enter> key used to start file upload in the "FTP AS" window in 4.5.4.  It doesn't perform
the same function in 4.6 "File Uploader" box.  Can you please restore this "function"?  I use
the "FTP AS" box to quickly verify settings then hit "Enter" to upload. 

Can you also condense the "File Uploader" box for smaller laptop screens?   There seems to
be dead space on the bottom right, too much spacing around the "Subsample Chroma" checkbox
and below "Save a copy of transmitted photos".

Can you also create a logfile of transmitted photos that's easier to read?  Perhaps just filename and time sent? 

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2009, 06:43:13 AM »
<Enter> key used to start file upload in the "FTP AS" window in 4.5.4.  It doesn't perform
the same function in 4.6 "File Uploader" box.  Can you please restore this "function"?  I use
the "FTP AS" box to quickly verify settings then hit "Enter" to upload.

We've fixed that already.  The next beta will have the fix in it.

Quote from: dell2405
Can you also condense the "File Uploader" box for smaller laptop screens?   There seems to
be dead space on the bottom right, too much spacing around the "Subsample Chroma" checkbox
and below "Save a copy of transmitted photos".

Possibly.  The window is resizable and the templates can be scrolled.

Quote from: dell2405
Can you also create a logfile of transmitted photos that's easier to read?  Perhaps just filename and time sent?

Unlikely.  Several users wanted exactly what is currently in the log files and nothing less.

-Kirk

Offline rcohn

• View Profile
Live Ingest
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2009, 06:48:48 AM »
Hi,

Why can Live Ingest only work on Jpegs and not Raws? I was hoping that this feature would improve shooting tethered into PM. I guess there's also no way to set the camera as the ingest source?

I've been shooting tethered with my Canon 1DsIII; raw files only. I point DPP to a folder and then open PM to that folder. So far 4.6 seems more responsive to seeing new files. However, I have to either click in and out of PM or hit Command-/ to get the thumbnails to show. I can use DPP to set the file names, so I don't need PM to rename the files, but I wish there was a way to set PM to apply my Stationary Pad as the Raw images are ingested.

I guess what I'm hoping for is a way to have PM watch a folder and display the thumbnails and apply my Stationary Pad to images as they (Raw files) come into the watched folder. Is there any way to do this that I've missed?

Ric