Author Topic: renaming video files  (Read 3507 times)

Offline heavymeister

• View Profile
renaming video files
« on: January 30, 2009, 12:05:18 PM »
I collected a lot of video files (30 seconds in avi format) dating back up to 2005 from a Canon Ixus point and shoot camera. Now I tried to bring them into a chronological order by renaming them with PM and time variables applied. The result was a little inconsistant. Some files showed just video_19791231_seq while for others of the same sequence (same day recorded) PM applied the correct date. Is there a way to get a correct date? Maybe extracted from the thm or xip files?

HM

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: renaming video files
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 12:46:41 PM »
I collected a lot of video files (30 seconds in avi format) dating back up to 2005 from a Canon Ixus point and shoot camera. Now I tried to bring them into a chronological order by renaming them with PM and time variables applied. The result was a little inconsistant. Some files showed just video_19791231_seq while for others of the same sequence (same day recorded) PM applied the correct date. Is there a way to get a correct date? Maybe extracted from the thm or xip files?

What was your renaming string?

-Kirk

Offline heavymeister

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 01:59:58 PM »

-Kirk

film_{year4}{month0}{day0}_{time}_{seqn}
Mac OS 10.5.6, PM 4.5.4

HM

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 02:49:13 PM »

For those files that didn't work as expected, if you use the Finder's Get Info, do they have reasonable Modification dates?

-Kirk

Offline heavymeister

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 03:53:35 PM »

For those files that didn't work as expected, if you use the Finder's Get Info, do they have reasonable Modification dates?

-Kirk

Yes, the modification dates shown in the Finder look reasonable: Wednesday, 21 December 2005, 12:02

HM