Author Topic: Search not finding keywords  (Read 6233 times)

Offline OldandGrim

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Search not finding keywords
« on: January 29, 2009, 02:04:30 AM »
Ok I am at a bit of a loss. Started implementing structured keywords and wanted to do a test that I could find the files using search from one of the structured keywords assigned to the file. I took four files applied the keywords did a search it finds one of the files and opens it on a new contact sheet. Simplified my test applied a single keyword to the four files did a search with the search keyword option for the search criteria. It finds the same file again and not the other three files. Tried the same test on another set of four files it finds none of them.? I am at a loss as to what I have done wrong? I have tried applying the keywords through the iptc stationery pad same result yet any existing keywords I have applied work when I use my search?

I find if I have the contact sheet open and use find with keywords selected for search criteria it will select all four of the images

I have been reading other posts and yes if I made the search through spotlight it works and finds the images

any ideas welcomed os x 10.4.11 pm 4.5.4 external editor Lightroom nef files

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 03:43:40 AM by OldandGrim »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Search not finding keywords
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 07:16:48 AM »
Ok I am at a bit of a loss. Started implementing structured keywords and wanted to do a test that I could find the files using search from one of the structured keywords assigned to the file. I took four files applied the keywords did a search it finds one of the files and opens it on a new contact sheet. Simplified my test applied a single keyword to the four files did a search with the search keyword option for the search criteria. It finds the same file again and not the other three files. Tried the same test on another set of four files it finds none of them.? I am at a loss as to what I have done wrong? I have tried applying the keywords through the iptc stationery pad same result yet any existing keywords I have applied work when I use my search?

I find if I have the contact sheet open and use find with keywords selected for search criteria it will select all four of the images

I have been reading other posts and yes if I made the search through spotlight it works and finds the images

any ideas welcomed os x 10.4.11 pm 4.5.4 external editor Lightroom nef files

Please post a screenshot of the dialog you're using to do the search in Photo Mechanic.

-Kirk

Offline OldandGrim

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 01:31:36 PM »
Hi this is my search criteria this selects only one of the four files and opens on new contact sheet

« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 01:33:48 PM by OldandGrim »

Offline OldandGrim

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 01:33:01 PM »
if i use the find feature it will select all four of the files on that contact sheet

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 01:41:35 PM »
Hi this is my search criteria this selects only one of the four files and opens on new contact sheet

And if you perform the same search using the Spotlight menu (in the upper right corner of the MenuBar) do you get all four images?

Are all four images JPEGs?

-Kirk
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 01:43:06 PM by Kirk Baker »

Offline OldandGrim

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 02:05:38 PM »
no they are Nef. Just performed a test on a broader range of photographs and it appears to be more random. One of the images always turns up others are more hit and miss. Just placed a new keyword in some images and I have to say spotlight is not picking them up now. Last night it was picking them up every time this morning not so good. I did rebuild spotlights index but does not seem to of helped.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 02:39:09 PM »
no they are Nef. Just performed a test on a broader range of photographs and it appears to be more random. One of the images always turns up others are more hit and miss. Just placed a new keyword in some images and I have to say spotlight is not picking them up now. Last night it was picking them up every time this morning not so good. I did rebuild spotlights index but does not seem to of helped.

Spotlight does not associate metadata found in XMP sidecar files with the RAW files they correspond to.  Spotlight does index IPTC data found inside RAW files so you could embed IPTC in your NEFs and that should work.

-Kirk

Offline OldandGrim

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 03:05:37 PM »
ok getting closer would my preferences look like below to embed the iptc into my NEFs. Did a test in Lightroom and it found all the images. If the below preferences are correct do I need to update using tools update iptc/xmp? when I use this tool do I need to select all my images?

« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 03:08:31 PM by OldandGrim »

Offline OldandGrim

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 03:13:57 PM »
That appears to work not sure when I use update iptc/xmp do I select read from jpeg or raw? my settings If I understand say to read from jpeg. What is the correct way for me to set up this preference.

And by the way you are super quick and patient

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 03:18:28 PM »
That appears to work not sure when I use update iptc/xmp do I select read from jpeg or raw? my settings If I understand say to read from jpeg. What is the correct way for me to set up this preference.

Are you talking about the Update IPTC/XMP command on the Tools menu?

-Kirk

Offline OldandGrim

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2009, 03:27:59 PM »
yes. I assume I need to update my images for the changes to take effect? To be honest i am getting a bit confused. I followed the help suggestions to set up my preferences for a work flow to Lightroom.

but it is working now from spotlight to quick search to search to lightroom I assume from that my preferences are right
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 03:35:58 PM by OldandGrim »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2009, 03:54:45 PM »
yes. I assume I need to update my images for the changes to take effect? To be honest i am getting a bit confused. I followed the help suggestions to set up my preferences for a work flow to Lightroom.

but it is working now from spotlight to quick search to search to lightroom I assume from that my preferences are right

Yes, your preferences look good for working with Spotlight and being compatible with Adobe products.  However, if you didn't need to use Spotlight then I wouldn't have recommended embedding IPTC into your RAW files, but it actually doesn't hurt.

As for updating your images, you could use the Update IPTC/XMP tool or you could just apply the IPTC Stationery Pad to some field you don't use and then later clear it.  Both would update the metadata for your RAW files.

-Kirk

Offline OldandGrim

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2009, 04:04:23 PM »
Ok many thanks is there a good reason not to imbed iptc into my raw files?. If i were to start saving my raw files with a separate jpeg would I not need to embed into the raw file but into the associated jpeg. At the moment I believe that my raw files have a embedded jpeg?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2009, 04:13:54 PM »
Ok many thanks is there a good reason not to imbed iptc into my raw files?. If i were to start saving my raw files with a separate jpeg would I not need to embed into the raw file but into the associated jpeg. At the moment I believe that my raw files have a embedded jpeg?

Not really.  Some people really don't like their RAW files being modified at all.  They therefore give up the ability to use Spotlight to search for caption data in their RAW files.

And having a separate JPEG as in shooting RAW+JPEG mode won't help in regards to searching for caption data in your RAW files.  The JPEGs will be indexed just fine but your RAW files have to have embedded IPTC metadata in order for Spotlight to find the IPTC metadata in your RAW files.  A few years ago we asked Apple to associate XMP sidecar files data with the RAW file they correspond with and nothing has been done in that regard.  It's too bad really.

-Kirk