Author Topic: Face Recognition  (Read 16830 times)

Offline nmf

• View Profile
Re: Face Recognition
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2012, 02:14:45 PM »
RE OCR of numbers.

Didn't somebody a few years ago successfully patent the principle of software which could put names to the people in images via their race numbers. Not sure if any such patent would affect the ideas being suggested.

Must learn more about Face recognition in software but hope it has improved since the Google Image Search I tried with one of my images as a test decided the athlete pictured was Stitch from Lilo and Stitch. A friend tells me that when he posted some images on Facebook the system identified one of the people featured as the Manneken Pis (and no the person in the image was not amused)

All joking aside if OCR of numbers is permissible then I can see how it could be of use to somebody naming a large shoot but not sure how much use it would be for the majority as you will either recognise the person pictured so be able to use an existing code replacement as quickly as verify each image is who the face recognition claims or, the person is unlikely to have previously been in your database so will be unrecognised.

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2012, 03:43:57 PM »
Try it on Picasa. I think it is brilliant and only wish I could make full use of it in Photomechanic or my catalogue programme.

You have to build the database yourself but once the name is entered for the first face it is consistently recognised almost every time that face appears on a picture.

Offline piccyman

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2012, 08:26:59 AM »
we could hold our own database,  similarly as we create our own code replacements before the event we could input images with associated names

That would save me so much time at events, even if only some of them got done, and suggested names for images not fully identified.
Or we could select the face with the crop tool and then identify the face.

I believe that the two apps you mentioned are "trained" by the user.  There is no centralized database that is consulted by the feature.

I would pay more money for that add-on
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 06:21:50 PM by Kirk Baker »

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2012, 04:18:32 AM »
I believe that the two apps you mentioned are "trained" by the user.  There is no centralized database that is consulted by the feature.

-Kirk

I guess user training the app is a way of building some sort of database however obvious is it or not. Anyway it would be very helpful in a lot of cases to have something similar feature in PM.

I guess there could be certain ways to even disable this feature if someone has legal or any other issues with it.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com