Author Topic: Other upload sites?  (Read 15895 times)

Offline Pavel

• View Profile
Other upload sites?
« on: July 10, 2006, 08:10:57 AM »
The inclusion of Photoshelter uploads right within PhotoMechanic is a terrific feature.  Are there any future plans to incorporate other upload sites like Photoshelter into PhotoMechanic?  If so .... I'd like to cast my vote for Exposure Manager.
Nothing wrong with Photoshelter - in fact it's about the best - but choice is always nice.

Thanks. :)

Offline antpix

• View Profile
Re: Other upload sites?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 04:15:17 PM »
I would like to add the option for uploading to flickr.com, although I think they do some quite wierd stuff to the uploaded files

cheers

Ant

Offline Wolvie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 07:00:34 AM »
Pavel/Ant:
The PhotoShelter upload is a basic ftp upload.  If you have FTP access to your folders on the site you want to upload to
then you can use PM to do that as it is.  If you don't have or they won't give you access then you are out of luck until
that happens. 

Would be nice is if we could customize the button to our company's name  ;D   I don't use PhotoShelter, but it would nice
to my company's logo and name there instead.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 10:15:43 AM »
Pavel/Ant:
The PhotoShelter upload is a basic ftp upload.  If you have FTP access to your folders on the site you want to upload to then you can use PM to do that as it is.  If you don't have or they won't give you access then you are out of luck until that happens.

PhotoShelter does not use FTP as its protocol.  We had to write custom network I/O to work with their system.

Just FYI,

-Kirk

Offline antpix

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 11:52:54 PM »
Kirk

Is it likely that you will be doing something for flickr soon? It does seem to be a very popular hosting site.

cheers

Ant

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 12:04:06 AM »
Ant,

Is it likely that you will be doing something for flickr soon? It does seem to be a very popular hosting site.

We have no plans at this time to support flickr.  We haven't had many requests for flickr upload support. (Well, besides your earlier request on this same thread.)

-Kirk

Offline antpix

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 01:37:13 AM »
Thanks for the feedback, if you do get more requests and you go ahead with the flickr upload then I would be pleased.

thanks for all the hard work supporting us.

cheers

Ant

Offline TimCaseyPhoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2006, 05:29:19 AM »
I'd also like to see an option to upload to flickr.com

I use it for a variety of purposes, including uploading proofs which I can easily remove or hide, and as an inexpensive way of backing up files, 2GB of uploads per month, unlimited storage. I also used it to find photos quickly, by searching tags, before the spotlight feature as included in Photo Mechanic.

PhotoShelter seems great, but for a college student, it's pretty expensive if you need lots of storage capacity.

Offline Pavel

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2006, 04:11:51 PM »
I'm using both photoshelter and exposuremanager right now, waiting to see how things play out.  Photoshelter does some things very nicely and actually the fact that I can upload via photomechanic is a big plus for it.  It does not however let me use nested folders and so is kind of completely useless for all except my personal stuff.  Exposure manager allows one to use ftp ... does that mean that I can set it up right now to upload my files for me?  I'm going to give photoshelter about six more months to get the folders thing so that I can use nested folders and if it's not possible by then I'm going to cancel my service.  Exposure manger is cumbersome in some ways but at this point I'd have to rate them as the best overall solution - so I'd love to see support for uploading directly from my favorite program. 

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2006, 04:37:21 PM »
I'm using both photoshelter and exposuremanager right now, waiting to see how things play out.  Photoshelter does some things very nicely and actually the fact that I can upload via photomechanic is a big plus for it.  It does not however let me use nested folders and so is kind of completely useless for all except my personal stuff.  Exposure manager allows one to use ftp ... does that mean that I can set it up right now to upload my files for me?  I'm going to give photoshelter about six more months to get the folders thing so that I can use nested folders and if it's not possible by then I'm going to cancel my service.  Exposure manger is cumbersome in some ways but at this point I'd have to rate them as the best overall solution - so I'd love to see support for uploading directly from my favorite program. 

If they support FTP, then you should be able to upload to them via Photo Mechanic's FTP As...

-Kirk

Offline hya

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2006, 10:03:38 PM »
For folks that want flickr support (at least on Windows XP):

1. Make sure you have flickr uploadr installed.  You can find it here.
2. In Photo Mechanic, go to Edit->Preferences, and bring up the Launching tab.
3. Click on the "Set..." button
4. Scroll to the bottom of the list.  You'll see a number of entries named "Custom Editor #1", #2, #3, etc.  Click on the first available ( = "using default editor" in the other column) custom editor, and click on "Choose..."
5. Navigate to where you installed Flickr Uploadr (usually C:\program files\flickr uploadr) and select "Flickr Uploadr.exe".  Click OK.
6. Click OK to exit out of the window, and OK out to the preferences.

To upload:
Select the pictures you want to upload, right click on one of them to bring up the context menu, go to "Edit Selected Images with", and select "Flickr Uploadr" from the list.  The images will appear in flickr uploadr and you can upload from there.

Hope this helps :)

Offline antpix

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2006, 01:26:21 AM »
HYA

Neat workaround, works on Mac, 10.3.9 as well.

Thanks

Ant

Offline JAS Photo

• View Profile
    • JAS Photo LLC
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2006, 05:21:16 AM »
I use Printroom.com - Any chance of that being added to the list?

Actually Kirk you could try to make a stadard and have PM be the edit/upload for them all.

Thanks
Joe

Joe Sorrentino
JAS Photo LLC
http://www.JASPhoto.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2006, 06:59:03 AM »
Joe,

I use Printroom.com - Any chance of that being added to the list?

Actually Kirk you could try to make a stadard and have PM be the edit/upload for them all.

I think many of these services like having their own protocols and having their own special uploader programs.

What do you use to upload to Printroom.com?  What protocol do they use?

-Kirk

Offline JAS Photo

• View Profile
    • JAS Photo LLC
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2006, 02:18:35 PM »
They have a program called Pro Studio Manager - I'm sure they pay a lot to develope it  - when they could just license PM from you. A Win Win.

Joe
Joe Sorrentino
JAS Photo LLC
http://www.JASPhoto.com