Author Topic: Ingesting from D700  (Read 3597 times)

Offline photogeek423

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Documentary Sight
Ingesting from D700
« on: December 04, 2008, 06:23:39 AM »
I can not use the "ingest" option with my Nikon D700. (this includes any type of file in the camera)  Is there something that I am missing within PM, or is an OS thing?  The D700 doesn't show up on the desktop like the D200 does.  I can import from the camera using Lightroom, but I would rather use PM!

OS 10.5.5
PM version 4.5.4
10Gb of RAM
Mac OS 10.5.5
PM version 4.5.4
10Gb of RAM
"A straight line exists between me and the good things. I have found the line and its direction is known to me."

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Ingesting from D700
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 07:05:42 AM »
I can not use the "ingest" option with my Nikon D700. (this includes any type of file in the camera)  Is there something that I am missing within PM, or is an OS thing?  The D700 doesn't show up on the desktop like the D200 does.  I can import from the camera using Lightroom, but I would rather use PM!

If the D700's CF-Card doesn't show up as a disk on the Desktop then PM will be unable to Ingest from it.  There may be a setting in the camera that will allow it to mount on the Desktop, but what I would really recommend is investing in a CF-Card Reader (Firewire or USB2) and use that instead.  They're faster and safer since they don't rely on batteries.  They also free up your camera for more useful work.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 07:59:14 AM »
Definitely use a good card reader as Kirk suggests. BTW see www.robgalbraith.com for speed comparison of different readers. The Sandisk Extreme series, especially the firewire (which is great on a mac - unless you happen to buy the new aluminium MacBook, which sadly lacks a firewire port) are fast, rugged and reliable. On a Mac firewire is still quite some bit faster than USB. Or the Lexar pro series, which allows stacking of several readers over firewire (although, with four - the maximum supported - Firewire 400 can get saturated with fast cards, so even though PM allows for ingesting of several cards at once, the speed might drop a bit when connecting three or four of these to the same FW port)

If you need to ingest from a camera directly, you must set somewhere in the camera settings the USB connection type from PTP to Mass Storage protocol. PTP is only for controlling the camera connected to computer remotely, Mass Storage allows the card to be seen as normal USB drive.
It is hidden somewhere in the settings, can't help here as I no longer shoot Nikon.

Frantisek

Offline dbrouse

• View Profile
    • DC Corporate Headshots
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 08:44:15 AM »
The D700 does not have "Mass Storage" mode (MSC) that the D300 has so no icon will show up on your desktop. So as Kirk said, PM can not ingest from the camera.

This kinda sucks (on NIkons part, not Camera Bits) and now requires me to purchase another FW/USB device that I'll have to keep in my bag. Oh well.

Delane B. Rouse/Rouse Photography Group, LLC
Mac OS: Version 10.7.4, Build 12713