Author Topic: PM4.6 GPS not being read in CaptureNX2  (Read 3770 times)

Offline RonD200

• View Profile
    • Digital Images by Ron Skinner
PM4.6 GPS not being read in CaptureNX2
« on: January 31, 2009, 01:17:46 PM »
Hi Kirk,

While trying out the new features in PM4.6  I noticed that NEF photos that I tag with GPS info in PM 4.6 isn't being read by CaptureNX2. CaptureNX2 wants all of the information embedded in the NEF file and PM 4.6 is creating a XMP sidecar file and storing the GPS information there and not embedding it directly into the NEF file. 

How do I set up PM 4.6 to write the information directly into the NEF file?  When I ingested my photos I checked the directory and there were no sidecar files, then I selected one photo and imported the GPS information using PM 4.6. I used Show Map and the file was tagged correctly with the GPS information, I then checked my directory and noticed a XMP file was created for my photo after I did the GPS import. When I opened the photo in CaptureNX2 no GPS info was shown, since CaptureNX doesn't support sidecar files.

The GPS feature works great, but I need to have the information embedded in the NEF file and not create a XMP sidecar file.  I previously have used Robogeo to tag my photos with GPS and it embeds the GPS info directly into the EXIF.  Is there a way to set up my preferences in PM 4.6 to embed the GPS info directly into the EXIF without creating a XMP file?

Here's my settings:

Thanks,
Ron

My Gallery - Digital Images by Ron Skinner
My Blog - Ron's Blog

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM4.6 GPS not being read in CaptureNX2
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 02:03:24 PM »
Ron,

While trying out the new features in PM4.6  I noticed that NEF photos that I tag with GPS info in PM 4.6 isn't being read by CaptureNX2. CaptureNX2 wants all of the information embedded in the NEF file and PM 4.6 is creating a XMP sidecar file and storing the GPS information there and not embedding it directly into the NEF file. 

How do I set up PM 4.6 to write the information directly into the NEF file?  When I ingested my photos I checked the directory and there were no sidecar files, then I selected one photo and imported the GPS information using PM 4.6. I used Show Map and the file was tagged correctly with the GPS information, I then checked my directory and noticed a XMP file was created for my photo after I did the GPS import. When I opened the photo in CaptureNX2 no GPS info was shown, since CaptureNX doesn't support sidecar files.

The GPS feature works great, but I need to have the information embedded in the NEF file and not create a XMP sidecar file.  I previously have used Robogeo to tag my photos with GPS and it embeds the GPS info directly into the EXIF.  Is there a way to set up my preferences in PM 4.6 to embed the GPS info directly into the EXIF without creating a XMP file?

With the settings you've got there, XMP is being embedded into your NEFs.  It shouldn't create XMP sidecar files if they don't exist already.

I suspect that Capture NX2 does not pickup GPS information contained in XMP data.  It likely only picks it up from EXIF data.  Photo Mechanic does not rewrite EXIF data in RAW files in order to add GPS data.  Photo Mechanic writes GPS data to XMP for RAW files.

-Kirk

Offline RonD200

• View Profile
    • Digital Images by Ron Skinner
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 04:39:47 PM »
Ron,

With the settings you've got there, XMP is being embedded into your NEFs.  It shouldn't create XMP sidecar files if they don't exist already.

I suspect that Capture NX2 does not pickup GPS information contained in XMP data.  It likely only picks it up from EXIF data.  Photo Mechanic does not rewrite EXIF data in RAW files in order to add GPS data.  Photo Mechanic writes GPS data to XMP for RAW files.

-Kirk

Kirk I did another experiment, when I ingest the files using PM 4.6 only Nef files are in the folder, no sidecar files exist, next I iselect one Nef file from the PM 4.6 contact sheet  and import the GPS info using PM 4.6, I then check the folder and now that one file has an XMP sidecar file associated with it which according to my PM settings shouldn't be created. What's even stranger is it looks like PM 4.6 is using the information in this sidecar file to get the GPS information when I do a Show Map and in the Info panel. I found this out by first importing the GPS data looking at the Info panel and seeing my GPS information, I then use Show Map and my photo location shows up on the map.  Next I went to the folder in Windows Explorer and deleted the newly created XMP sidecar file and then went back to PM 4.6 and the GPS information was missing from my info panel and Show Map gave me the NO GPS INFORMATION AVAILABLE screen. So it looks like PM 4.6 is not embedding the XMP in the NEF file but creates a sidecar file instead.  As a workaround for now I'm not importing the GPS to the NEF files but waiting until I convert them to JPG's and then import the GPS. That works fine.
My Gallery - Digital Images by Ron Skinner
My Blog - Ron's Blog

Offline devenh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 05:26:58 PM »
Kirk,

My IPTC/XMP write settings are the same as Ron's, and XMP files are being created.  The NEF files are not touched.  Not surprisingly, no GPS in NX2.  GPS did show up in Adobe Bridge CS4.

Windows XP.

Deven

Offline Jerry

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 07:22:43 PM »
Hi Kirk,

I too, have the same IPTC/XMP settings and am finding the same behavior as Ron (including the same experiments). Windows XP Pro SP3.

Great stuff coming in 4.6!

Thanks ... Jerry

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 07:42:56 PM »
I too, have the same IPTC/XMP settings and am finding the same behavior as Ron (including the same experiments). Windows XP Pro SP3.

We're looking into it.

-Kirk