Author Topic: 4.6 GPS problems  (Read 2930 times)

Offline devenh

• View Profile
4.6 GPS problems
« on: January 31, 2009, 05:40:40 PM »
Kirk,

GPS is a great addition and appears to work fine *if* you do everything right.

The main problem for me is setting the GPS offset.  Should it be positive or negative?  I never remember (although the help popup window tells me exactly how to adjust for the Pacific time zone  ;D).  Assume the first time user gets this wrong and then hits "Import GPS Coordinates."  Now all the files have 0,0 coordinates.  Once the coordinates are set, I can't seem to fix them short of deleting the XMP files or reloading the original files.  When the coordinates were 0,0, PM crashed when I was using the arrow keys under the image.  Unfortunately, I was unable to repeat this.

Back to the GPS offset, it would be nice if PM could guess what the offset should be given the time zone data in the target file.  I understand the time zone (and time) may not be correct, but if it is, it would make things less confusing.

Deven

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: 4.6 GPS problems
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 05:47:32 PM »
Deven,

GPS is a great addition and appears to work fine *if* you do everything right.

The main problem for me is setting the GPS offset.  Should it be positive or negative?  I never remember (although the help popup window tells me exactly how to adjust for the Pacific time zone  ;D).  Assume the first time user gets this wrong and then hits "Import GPS Coordinates."  Now all the files have 0,0 coordinates.  Once the coordinates are set, I can't seem to fix them short of deleting the XMP files or reloading the original files.  When the coordinates were 0,0, PM crashed when I was using the arrow keys under the image.  Unfortunately, I was unable to repeat this.

Back to the GPS offset, it would be nice if PM could guess what the offset should be given the time zone data in the target file.  I understand the time zone (and time) may not be correct, but if it is, it would make things less confusing.[/quote]

OK, well before you start the import, look at the status text below the map.  It should tell you how many matches you have for your photos.  If there are no matches, then there isn't much point in proceeding, though one could argue that the Import dialog shouldn't allow you to proceed.

I suppose we could have a "Guess" button (there's probably a better name than Guess...) that would take the time of the first photo and the first GPS coordinate time and calculate the delta for you, filling in the time offset, but that doesn't mean that the matches will be even remotely accurate.

-Kirk