Author Topic: Modified Keywords Panel  (Read 8204 times)

Offline schwarznavy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Modified Keywords Panel
« on: January 31, 2009, 07:01:08 AM »
Hello,

The Keywords panel is very handy for quickly adding keywords to a lot of photos (not necessarily at the same time).

It seems like it only uses keywords from the master list. It would be nice if you could quickly add a keyword that isn't in the master list using the keyword panel.

As it is, if I am using the Keyword panel to add keywords to all my photos, then if this one oddball photo requires a keyword that isn't in my master list, then I either have to add it to the list, add it to the photo, and then delete it from the list. Or I have to click the "i" and then add the keyword that way.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Modified Keywords Panel
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 07:07:49 AM »
Hello,

The Keywords panel is very handy for quickly adding keywords to a lot of photos (not necessarily at the same time).

It seems like it only uses keywords from the master list. It would be nice if you could quickly add a keyword that isn't in the master list using the keyword panel.

As it is, if I am using the Keyword panel to add keywords to all my photos, then if this one oddball photo requires a keyword that isn't in my master list, then I either have to add it to the list, add it to the photo, and then delete it from the list. Or I have to click the "i" and then add the keyword that way.

Why not just add it to the Master list and keep it there for good?  You can do that from within that interface alone.

-Kirk

Offline schwarznavy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 07:23:00 AM »
Wow. That's fast Kirk.

Well, most of my pictures are of the family -- wife, son #1, son #2, mother-in-law, myself, etc. So my Master keyword list is all those people, plus a few other things that commonly come up -- school, shopping, etc.

Every so often I come across something unique that I want to add as a keyword, and I'm pretty sure I'll almost never need it again. Something like a coworker, who I know I've only taken a one or two shots of my entire life.

The shorter the master keyword list is, then the easier it is to use the keyword panel....which I must say is VERY convenient.

So for this coworker, I have to add his name to the list, then add his keyword to a few photos, and then delete his name from the list.

My proposal is this:
Normally you select the keywords you want to add (holding down CTRL for multiple), and then you hit "Apply to selected photos."

It would be great if you could type in something in the blank, holding CTRL to select keywords, and then hit "Apply to selected photos." That way the selections I chose, PLUS what was typed in the blank would get applied.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 07:38:18 AM »
Wow. That's fast Kirk.

Well, most of my pictures are of the family -- wife, son #1, son #2, mother-in-law, myself, etc. So my Master keyword list is all those people, plus a few other things that commonly come up -- school, shopping, etc.

Every so often I come across something unique that I want to add as a keyword, and I'm pretty sure I'll almost never need it again. Something like a coworker, who I know I've only taken a one or two shots of my entire life.

The shorter the master keyword list is, then the easier it is to use the keyword panel....which I must say is VERY convenient.

So for this coworker, I have to add his name to the list, then add his keyword to a few photos, and then delete his name from the list.

My proposal is this:
Normally you select the keywords you want to add (holding down CTRL for multiple), and then you hit "Apply to selected photos."

It would be great if you could type in something in the blank, holding CTRL to select keywords, and then hit "Apply to selected photos." That way the selections I chose, PLUS what was typed in the blank would get applied.

That would be easy enough to do, though I'm not sure how we would convey that to the user since the keyword in the text field is not listed down below?

-Kirk

Offline schwarznavy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 07:55:15 AM »
See the attachment....don't laugh: I made it in Paint.

The user would be able to freely type in the "Quick Add" box.

Maybe the list at the top would have a little header called "Master List:"

And the Quick Add would be called "Quick Additions List:" ...

or something like that..

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 08:01:49 AM »
See the attachment....don't laugh: I made it in Paint.

The user would be able to freely type in the "Quick Add" box.

Maybe the list at the top would have a little header called "Master List:"

And the Quick Add would be called "Quick Additions List:" ...

or something like that..

I really don't want to make the interface any taller than it is now.  We're working on an initiative to make Photo Mechanic work better with the increasingly popular 'Netbook' computers.

I think it would be simpler to just let users type whatever they want into the bottom text field.  That way they can select from the top list and also add individual keywords before clicking the Apply... button.

-Kirk

Offline Paul Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 01:31:30 PM »
Isn't the easiest way to do this to use the Structured Keywords Panel? You can add keywords to the collection from the keywords list and/or also type in keywords directly into the collections field before applying to a group of images. This already does exactly what the original poster asked for.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009, 01:44:02 PM »
Isn't the easiest way to do this to use the Structured Keywords Panel? You can add keywords to the collection from the keywords list and/or also type in keywords directly into the collections field before applying to a group of images. This already does exactly what the original poster asked for.

Well, no, not if you don't want hierarchical keywords.

-Kirk

Offline Paul Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2009, 01:55:51 PM »
Not sure I'm with you there, Kirk. I use the Structured Keywords Panel all the time but I don't apply hierarchial keywords. When I double-click on a keyword in my list it adds just the keyword, not the whole path, to the large Collection field. I can also type directly into that field any odd keywords that are not in my list. When I then click the button "Apply collection to selected" it applies just the keywords, not the full hierarchial path.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2009, 03:01:42 PM »
Not sure I'm with you there, Kirk. I use the Structured Keywords Panel all the time but I don't apply hierarchial keywords. When I double-click on a keyword in my list it adds just the keyword, not the whole path, to the large Collection field. I can also type directly into that field any odd keywords that are not in my list. When I then click the button "Apply collection to selected" it applies just the keywords, not the full hierarchial path.

True, but perhaps a similar capability should be made available in the linear Keywords panel.

-Kirk