Author Topic: Recommended improvement to Adobe compatible hierarchical keyword implementation  (Read 3402 times)

Offline keithsnell

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
The new Structured Keywords panel checkmark to "use separator between keywords in path" works GREAT to save a hierarchical keyword structure to be read into Adobe Bridge or Expression Media 2 (and Lightroom, although I haven't tested Lightroom).  However, when the resulting hierarchical keyword "path" is read into Bridge or EM, the hierarchy is correctly formed, but only the last word in the path is entered as a keyword.  For example, if my path was North America | United States | Kansas | Wichita, then only Wichita would be identified as a keyword.  Searching on the other "keywords" in the path does not return a result.  My "work around" is to enter the path once with the "separator" and then uncheck the box, and reenter the path without the separator in order to include all the keywords along the hierarchy. 

(By the way, the checkmark is too "sticky" and requires that I click out of the path before it will clear the command to insert separators.  This requires that I unclick the checkmark, click on an unrelated path, and then click back on the path I want in order to get it to insert without the separators.)

After inputing the path twice, my "collection" in the Structured Keywords panel will look like this:  North America | United States | Kansas | Wichita, North America, United States, Kansas, Wichita.  This keyword structure is correctly read into Bridge and EM so that it both builds the hierarchical structure and populates the keywords along the hierarchy.  Unfortunately, this "work around" results in additional keystrokes that I would rather avoid.  (Especially with the "sticky" checkmark selection that requires me to click on another path to "clear" the command.)  Other software I am familiar with (IDImager for example) implements this feature as an "and" statement instead of an "or."  In that program, I can choose to enter "flat" keywords, or select a checkmark to insert both the Adobe compatible hierarchy and the associated flat keywords. 

Would it be possible to modify the "use separator between keywords in path" checkmark so that it instead ADDS the hierarchical path along with the individual keywords along the path?  The checkmark explanation would instead read something like this:  "Insert Adobe compatible hierarchical keyword structure in addition to flat keywords."

(I'm using PM 4.6.4 and Win 7 64-bit, along with EM 2 (SP2) and CS4)

Thanks,

Keith

P.S.
I'm anxiously awaiting your implementation of the "Ingest from Selection" feature and Cataloging.  Those two functions would allow me to drop two other programs in favor of PM, and streamline my workflow considerably.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Keith,

The new Structured Keywords panel checkmark to "use separator between keywords in path" works GREAT to save a hierarchical keyword structure to be read into Adobe Bridge or Expression Media 2 (and Lightroom, although I haven't tested Lightroom).  However, when the resulting hierarchical keyword "path" is read into Bridge or EM, the hierarchy is correctly formed, but only the last word in the path is entered as a keyword.  For example, if my path was North America | United States | Kansas | Wichita, then only Wichita would be identified as a keyword.  Searching on the other "keywords" in the path does not return a result.  My "work around" is to enter the path once with the "separator" and then uncheck the box, and reenter the path without the separator in order to include all the keywords along the hierarchy. 

(By the way, the checkmark is too "sticky" and requires that I click out of the path before it will clear the command to insert separators.  This requires that I unclick the checkmark, click on an unrelated path, and then click back on the path I want in order to get it to insert without the separators.)

I made a change to cause the click on the checkbox to re-evaluate the current path with the new setting.  Any items already in the collection do not change however.

Quote from: keithsnell
After inputing the path twice, my "collection" in the Structured Keywords panel will look like this:  North America | United States | Kansas | Wichita, North America, United States, Kansas, Wichita.  This keyword structure is correctly read into Bridge and EM so that it both builds the hierarchical structure and populates the keywords along the hierarchy.  Unfortunately, this "work around" results in additional keystrokes that I would rather avoid.  (Especially with the "sticky" checkmark selection that requires me to click on another path to "clear" the command.)  Other software I am familiar with (IDImager for example) implements this feature as an "and" statement instead of an "or."  In that program, I can choose to enter "flat" keywords, or select a checkmark to insert both the Adobe compatible hierarchy and the associated flat keywords. 

Would it be possible to modify the "use separator between keywords in path" checkmark so that it instead ADDS the hierarchical path along with the individual keywords along the path?  The checkmark explanation would instead read something like this:  "Insert Adobe compatible hierarchical keyword structure in addition to flat keywords."

I think it would be better to add another checkbox to turn that on since some people wouldn't like it being an all or nothing feature.  This sort of change will have to wait for a future (major) version however.

Quote from: keithsnell
P.S.
I'm anxiously awaiting your implementation of the "Ingest from Selection" feature and Cataloging.  Those two functions would allow me to drop two other programs in favor of PM, and streamline my workflow considerably.

Ingest from selection (when it gets implemented) could mostly be simulated by browsing the card, selecting the photos you're interested in and then using the Copy command.  You only don't get the secondary destination and access to the 'User/Client' Job dialog.

-Kirk

Offline keithsnell

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Keith,

I made a change to cause the click on the checkbox to re-evaluate the current path with the new setting.  Any items already in the collection do not change however.

Excellent!  Thank you.

I think it would be better to add another checkbox to turn that on since some people wouldn't like it being an all or nothing feature.  This sort of change will have to wait for a future (major) version however.

OK, I'll look forward to the future implementation.  In the interim, you might want to consider rewording the description to make it more obvious what this option actually does.  I "stumbled upon" a post in the forum that alluded to using the check box to implement Adobe compatible hierarchical keywords; however, it might not be obvious to many users that the box labeled "use separator between keywords in path" is actually designed (in its current implementation) to provide a hierarchical keyword structure compatible with Adobe aps (and Expression Media).  That's a pretty powerful feature that just sort of "slipped in."   

Ingest from selection (when it gets implemented) could mostly be simulated by browsing the card, selecting the photos you're interested in and then using the Copy command.  You only don't get the secondary destination and access to the 'User/Client' Job dialog.

-Kirk

Thank you!  I never thought of using the "copy" command, but you are right, it does what I was needing from the "Ingest from Selection" function.  (That's a pretty powerful copy command, I never noticed the option to apply the IPTC Stationary Pad to the copy/move until you suggested using it.)  I see many other people requesting the "ingest from selection" feature in the forum, so maybe that would be a good option for them as well.

Thanks again for your help,

Keith