Photo Mechanic > Support

File corruption on ingest

(1/2) > >>

drjay32:
I have intermittent file corruption when ingesting CF cards (Nikon D2X).  When I opened my NEF directly from the card, the file was fine.  I re-ingested two more times and the file was intact. 

I'm using a SanDisk Extreme III 4GB card and a SanDisk USB 2.0 reader, PM version 4.4.3.1 on a G5 PowerMac with OSX 10.4.7

Thanks.
-Jason

Kirk Baker:
Jason,

--- Quote from: drjay32 on July 10, 2006, 02:52:05 PM ---I have intermittent file corruption when ingesting CF cards (Nikon D2X).  When I opened my NEF directly from the card, the file was fine.  I re-ingested two more times and the file was intact. 

I'm using a SanDisk Extreme III 4GB card and a SanDisk USB 2.0 reader, PM version 4.4.3.1 on a G5 PowerMac with OSX 10.4.7
--- End quote ---

The number one thing we see with Mac OS X and card readers is that unless you "properly" unmount a card before ejecting and inserting another card is that Mac OS X will think that the first card never left the reader.  What the OS does then is report to us the first card's file system and even some of its data.  Not a good thing and there is no way for us to tell the difference since we must rely on the OS for filesystem information.

It turns out that the very safest thing to do is pull the USB (or firewire) cable out of the computer, eject the card, insert the next card, and then plug in the reader again.

Having said that, were you ingesting one card after another?

When you say you have file corruption, in what way are the files corrupted?  Do no apps recognize the NEF files? 

Were any errors reported in the Ingest progress window?

-Kirk

drjay32:
I have PM set to unmount the disk after ingest.

This was a single upload.  What happened was the NEF became distorted and unreadable by my Nikon Software-- A partial preview was generated in PM. 

No errors were reported after ingest.

Kirk Baker:

--- Quote from: drjay32 on July 10, 2006, 04:38:43 PM ---I have PM set to unmount the disk after ingest.

This was a single upload.  What happened was the NEF became distorted and unreadable by my Nikon Software-- A partial preview was generated in PM. 

No errors were reported after ingest.
--- End quote ---

Do you happen to have copies of the corrupted files, along with their corresponding intact files?  Could you upload them to our server?  (Contact me privately for upload information).

Could you post a screenshot of your Ingest dialog?  (Use the Additional Options... link when posting your response.)

Thanks,

-Kirk

doug3505:
I have been having the same problem. I am using an S3 and several different cards. It happens with all of them. Lexar 2GB 133x CF, San Disk UltraII 1.0GB and Olympus H XD 1GB. I think it may have began when I inserted both a CF and a XD card into the camera at the same time. The cards have been formated correctly on the camera. The images download with the correct image number and file .RAF but there is no image. I have been able to use Rescue software to reover the images but this is becoming a big issue. Normally I have Photo Mechanic unmount the cards and format them in the camera. Please advise.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version