Author Topic: Export Scripting  (Read 3052 times)

Offline jhawksley

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Export Scripting
« on: February 06, 2009, 11:06:55 AM »
Kirk-

First of all I just wanted to thank you for listening to the community and developing a robust program that saves us all an unmeasurable amount of time.

With the advent of image-watermarking in the latest beta and cataloging well on its way, I started to realize that PM will soon be able to handle almost my entire workflow, in conjunction with Camera Raw/PS. When I am shooting sporting events, I normally run a batch watermarking action that applies two different watermarks depending on whether the image is 2:3 or 3:2.

Is there anyway you could add simple scripting into the PM workflow? I wouldn't mind having to write a little bit of code (as a user) to make it work in the program. PM already has an incredibly good library of image variables. I could see it working something like this:

if ({width} > {height}) {
     do(export.preset.1)
} elseif { ({width} < {height}) {
     do(export.preset.2)
}

Enabling this could be a simple check box in the export/upload dialog. Since I only watermark the images that I put on my Gallery2 site, this would be incredible if it could be integrated into the upload workflow.

-Joel

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Export Scripting
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 11:52:15 AM »
Joel,

Kirk-

First of all I just wanted to thank you for listening to the community and developing a robust program that saves us all an unmeasurable amount of time.

With the advent of image-watermarking in the latest beta and cataloging well on its way, I started to realize that PM will soon be able to handle almost my entire workflow, in conjunction with Camera Raw/PS. When I am shooting sporting events, I normally run a batch watermarking action that applies two different watermarks depending on whether the image is 2:3 or 3:2.

Is there anyway you could add simple scripting into the PM workflow? I wouldn't mind having to write a little bit of code (as a user) to make it work in the program. PM already has an incredibly good library of image variables. I could see it working something like this:

if ({width} > {height}) {
     do(export.preset.1)
} elseif { ({width} < {height}) {
     do(export.preset.2)
}

Enabling this could be a simple check box in the export/upload dialog. Since I only watermark the images that I put on my Gallery2 site, this would be incredible if it could be integrated into the upload workflow.

Would the above presets be for just the Watermarking operation or for the entire export/upload?  What if we simply had the ability to choose two different images, one used for landscape images and one for portraits?

-Kirk

Offline jhawksley

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Export Scripting
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 11:30:48 PM »
Kirk-

I could see it going both ways. For now, just having two separate images would be fine, but the functionality to do scripting of some sort could open up new doors for how we as users approach our work flow.

Heck, if I could integrate a Photoshop action into the upload process, I would be in post-processing heaven.

Since it is a somewhat more advanced feature, maybe making it an option to enable a script in the various output panes would work the best, and have scripts editable in some centralized fashion. That way you could just click a box that says "use script" and select which one from a drop-down (in the option pane).

I hope that made sense.

-Joel

P.s. I just discovered code replacement today. Pure genius.