Author Topic: Contact sheets not working after ingest  (Read 2741 times)

Offline srwatters

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Contact sheets not working after ingest
« on: February 07, 2009, 12:59:00 PM »
I have a problem with Photo Mechanic on my Mac Pro (2x 2.66GHz dual core Xeon, 6GB RAM, OS X 10.5.6) that has just started. After ingesting files from my FireWire CF reader (Lexar), the contact sheet never appears and the UI will not display any other contact sheets. I've tried new sheets and using the navigator the open another folder. Basically the UI becomes unresponsive with regard to displaying images. The progress indicator on the lower left spins some, but the images never appear. Closing the application and re-opening will correct the issue, but that isn't a great option.

Please help!

Scott Watters
PoloDigital Photography

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Contact sheets not working after ingest
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 01:09:06 PM »
Scott,

I have a problem with Photo Mechanic on my Mac Pro (2x 2.66GHz dual core Xeon, 6GB RAM, OS X 10.5.6) that has just started. After ingesting files from my FireWire CF reader (Lexar), the contact sheet never appears and the UI will not display any other contact sheets. I've tried new sheets and using the navigator the open another folder. Basically the UI becomes unresponsive with regard to displaying images. The progress indicator on the lower left spins some, but the images never appear. Closing the application and re-opening will correct the issue, but that isn't a great option.

It would really help to know what version of Photo Mechanic you're running.
Also, what kind of images are they?  JPEGs?  RAW?  If so what kind of RAW files?

-Kirk

Offline srwatters

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 05:37:59 AM »
Sorry about missing that detail. I'm always updated to the latest release, at this time it's 4.5.4.

I shoot RAW+jpg, so the contact sheet that should display would be both and I have the preference set to enable AppleIO for RAW rendering and use jpg rendering for speed for RAW+jpg. RAW files are from the Nikon D3.

Is there an easy way to simply reset all preferences to default? I've also seen some odd behavior where the ingest dialog never appears when I insert the CF into my reader. The volume auto mounts and PM will launch (if it's not running) and start the ingest, sometimes it will launch, but no ingest dialog. Odd...
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 05:40:26 AM by srwatters »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 06:36:34 AM »
Scott,

Sorry about missing that detail. I'm always updated to the latest release, at this time it's 4.5.4.

I shoot RAW+jpg, so the contact sheet that should display would be both and I have the preference set to enable AppleIO for RAW rendering and use jpg rendering for speed for RAW+jpg. RAW files are from the Nikon D3.

Is there an easy way to simply reset all preferences to default? I've also seen some odd behavior where the ingest dialog never appears when I insert the CF into my reader. The volume auto mounts and PM will launch (if it's not running) and start the ingest, sometimes it will launch, but no ingest dialog. Odd...

You can delete the com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic.plist file in your Preferences folder which is in the following location:

<your home folder>/Library/Preferences/

As far as RAW rendering goes, I would go ahead and enable ImageIO for RAW rendering, but have it use the embedded JPEG preview for speed.  This setting retains all of the speed you're used to but still allows you to toggle the RAW/Preview quality on-the-fly in the Preview window (type 'q' to toggle the Quality setting) when you want to see the differences in rendering.

-Kirk