Author Topic: PM not showing all kinds of jpgs?  (Read 2302 times)

Offline iau

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM not showing all kinds of jpgs?
« on: February 06, 2009, 08:43:27 AM »
Hi,

I have a problem that some of my jpgs won't show in PM. They display nicely in other software. They are not from my camera, but photos I've received with emails or downloaded myself. Sometimes a few may display correctly, but others not, even though they are from the same source.

Any idea what this could be? All PM says is "Unsuporter Format Variant". Same problem on both Windows and Mac platform.

Thanks in advance,
- iau

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM not showing all kinds of jpgs?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 10:16:52 AM »
I have a problem that some of my jpgs won't show in PM. They display nicely in other software. They are not from my camera, but photos I've received with emails or downloaded myself. Sometimes a few may display correctly, but others not, even though they are from the same source.

Any idea what this could be? All PM says is "Unsuporter Format Variant". Same problem on both Windows and Mac platform.

I have no idea.  If you would like to send us some examples we would be happy to take a look and see why Photo Mechanic refuses to render them. Please click on my name to the left of this message, then click on the 'personal message' link.  I will respond with upload instructions.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM not showing all kinds of jpgs?
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 06:41:10 AM »

I have no idea.  If you would like to send us some examples we would be happy to take a look and see why Photo Mechanic refuses to render them. Please click on my name to the left of this message, then click on the 'personal message' link.  I will respond with upload instructions.

For anyone else reading this thread, the original poster of this thread sent me a sample image and it was a PNG file that had a .JPG extension.  Photo Mechanic does not have a 'scan a file with every possible format loader fallback mode' so if a file says its a JPEG with its filename extension then PM will try to load it as a JPEG.  If it is unable to load the image as a JPEG it won't try to load it at all again.  To have to try each format loader would just slow Photo Mechanic down.  It is unusual for an image file to get an incorrect file name extension.

Renaming the file so that it has a .PNG extension should solve the problem.

-Kirk