Author Topic: Recommended cache settings  (Read 9298 times)

Offline nharnik

• View Profile
Recommended cache settings
« on: July 11, 2006, 01:42:27 PM »
Hi Kirk,

A preferences question:
How would you configure PM's Caching options for the fastest possible performance?
A typical folder that I open will contain about 300 jpegs (3.2 meg compressed / 24 meg when opened in photoshop), and I like to scroll quickly through images in the preview window

I have 1 gig of RAM on a windows XP machine,(company laptop so not likely I can boost RAM....) and about 10 gig of hard drive space that could be used for caching if necessary. And yes, photoshop CS2 is open as well...

Second question: after doing lossless rotation of my jpegs  there are lots of ._28_ROT  (numbers vary) zero byte files left in the folder. Is that normal, and if yes, is it ok for me to delete them?

thanks, Nati

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Recommended cache settings
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 04:07:29 PM »
Nati,

A preferences question:
How would you configure PM's Caching options for the fastest possible performance?
A typical folder that I open will contain about 300 jpegs (3.2 meg compressed / 24 meg when opened in photoshop), and I like to scroll quickly through images in the preview window

I have 1 gig of RAM on a windows XP machine,(company laptop so not likely I can boost RAM....) and about 10 gig of hard drive space that could be used for caching if necessary. And yes, photoshop CS2 is open as well...

I wouldn't change the disk cache settings at all.  Set the Memory cache to 128 MB or even as high as 192 MB.

Quote from: nharnik
Second question: after doing lossless rotation of my jpegs  there are lots of ._28_ROT  (numbers vary) zero byte files left in the folder. Is that normal, and if yes, is it ok for me to delete them?

I suppose that's a bug.  You can safely delete them.  I'll look into fixing it (the temp files should get deleted.)

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 05:15:02 PM »
Nati,

When you noticed this, had you received either of the following messages when you performed a Lossless JPEG Rotation?

Either:

One of the selected photos failed to rotate.  The image is unchanged.

Or:

Some of the selected photos failed to rotate.  Those images are unchanged.

If you did get one of those messages, then the leftover files are from those images that failed to rotate.  I have added code to cleanup these temporary files when the error occurs.

Please confirm if you had seen the warning messages when you did the rotation.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline nharnik

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 07:13:33 PM »

RE: bug-
Yes, I did get the latter error message. Thought it was peculiar as have never encountered this message before.
thanks, Nati

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2006, 07:51:23 PM »

RE: bug-
Yes, I did get the latter error message. Thought it was peculiar as have never encountered this message before.
thanks, Nati

OK, well then that is now fixed too.

-Kirk