Author Topic: Selective Ingest & Preview prior to Ingest  (Read 5485 times)

Offline Junction10

• View Profile
    • Junction10 Photography
Selective Ingest & Preview prior to Ingest
« on: February 08, 2009, 07:54:24 AM »
BreezeSystem's Downloader Pro has a fantastic feature where it will display the list of files, along with dates and times (in list format or with thumbnails) prior to ingesting.
You can make a selection of which images you want to include in that ingest session.

This is a VITAL benefit for press photographers, especially when covering concerts and/or festivals..
Because it gives you a chance to change the IPTC Stationary or Job Code between each ingest, when you may have photographed several artists on the same card.

For example, when shooting a concert and importing them into my archive, I like to create a folder based on the date, but to include the artist name for quick reference later on..  thus I like to create a separate folder for the support act(s) and the headline artist. 
At the moment, (I believe) PM can only ingest the whole card, not a selection of files from it..  so I have to manually select the different artists and move them into a different folder, then ingest from that folder with the revised details..  it would be so much handier if I could do this straight from the card during the initial ingest......  With the option to delete the ingested images after completion.

Any chance of a feature like that, so you don't have to ingest the whole card at a time, or there a way to do it that I haven't found?

Cheers.

J.
iMac 27" 5K Retina 2017 -  4.2ghz 64gb RAM 1Tb HD, OSX Mojave
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 24 core GPU, 2Tb SSD, 64gb RAM

https://www.junction10.photography/

Offline JAS Photo

• View Profile
    • JAS Photo LLC
Re: Selective Ingest & Preview prior to Ingest
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 08:40:04 AM »
The amount of time you spend selecting images to ingest could be used to delete, move or tag or caption them while they are being ingested into that is designed to select, edit images.
Joe Sorrentino
JAS Photo LLC
http://www.JASPhoto.com

Offline Junction10

• View Profile
    • Junction10 Photography
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 08:53:03 AM »
Not really, because when shooting a festival or gig, the shots are normally all in roughly the same timeslot..

With Downloader Pro, it literally takes about 10 seconds to select the first shot, scroll down until you find the last shot of that session (before the time of the next shot jumps by about 20-30 minutes), and then click-shift and ingest...  I also had DLPro delete the images once ingested...

Then I'd do the same again, but change the job code, so the remainder of the images had the name of the headline act, which made the second ingest preparation even quicker, as I didn't have to make an initial selection, as I knew the rest of the images left on the card were all from the same act.

Since the ingest also takes care of the filenames themselves, it really is a quicker method than having to process them manually.

I guess you have to try it to see how effective it really is.. 

J

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 10:16:38 AM »
Not really, because when shooting a festival or gig, the shots are normally all in roughly the same timeslot..

With Downloader Pro, it literally takes about 10 seconds to select the first shot, scroll down until you find the last shot of that session (before the time of the next shot jumps by about 20-30 minutes), and then click-shift and ingest...  I also had DLPro delete the images once ingested...

Then I'd do the same again, but change the job code, so the remainder of the images had the name of the headline act, which made the second ingest preparation even quicker, as I didn't have to make an initial selection, as I knew the rest of the images left on the card were all from the same act.

Since the ingest also takes care of the filenames themselves, it really is a quicker method than having to process them manually.

I guess you have to try it to see how effective it really is.. 

Basically what you're wanting is to browse the card, select the photos, and then Ingest the selection.  It's a feature I call "Ingest from Selection" and it is on our list for implementation.  When it will actually be implemented, I don't have a firm time estimate.

Though I think the implementation will be nicer than the one you described (though I haven't checked into it to be certain) since you'd be using the full power of Photo Mechanic prior to the selection and subsequent Ingest from Selection.

-Kirk

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 05:10:41 AM »
You can already ingest by folders, it's been in PM for several versions already. Look on top of the ingest dialog.

It's a good habit to shoot each assignment to a different folder on camera anyway, and on most cameras it takes a press of one or two buttons to create a new folder incremented by one.

Although I still don't understand what is faster in your workflow (especially since downloader pro must read the files TWICE /at least the headers/, and afterwards it spents some time more selectively deleting them from the card /always a bad idea in my opinion/), than ingesting the whole card keeping the folder names, your mileage may of course vary :) 

Offline Junction10

• View Profile
    • Junction10 Photography
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 07:36:07 AM »
I know you can ingest by folders..  and that is good workflow anyway... 
but the way Downloader Pro handles it isn't complicated or time consuming.  It only reads the headers when you view by thumbnail..  otherwise, it just gets the filename and creation date from the OS.
Selecting is as easy as clicking first item in the list, then shift clicking the last, which you can tell by the big jump in time difference to the next shot, via the file creation date.

The ability to preview an image, be it in a memory card folder or folder on a hard drive is very useful for making sure you've got the right metadata set and aren't about to label one band as another...

Downloader Pro makes it very quick because to selectively download 2 different photo sets with different metadata from the same card only takes 4 mouse clicks (1st selection start, 1st selection end, download selected & delete from card, keyboard shortcut to change metadata, click to download all (remaining files), and done..  nothing complicated, very quick, and downloader pro only needs to get the directory listing once, not twice.

Cheers,

J.

Offline rcohn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 08:33:27 AM »
Basically what you're wanting is to browse the card, select the photos, and then Ingest the selection.  It's a feature I call "Ingest from Selection" and it is on our list for implementation.  When it will actually be implemented, I don't have a firm time estimate.

Though I think the implementation will be nicer than the one you described (though I haven't checked into it to be certain) since you'd be using the full power of Photo Mechanic prior to the selection and subsequent Ingest from Selection.

-Kirk

Not sure what you've got coming, but it sounds useful. One feature that would be useful to me would be the ability to select 2 or more groups of images and apply different Stationary Pad info, while still downloading all the new images from the card.

Thanks,

Ric

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 08:59:09 AM »
Ric,

Not sure what you've got coming, but it sounds useful. One feature that would be useful to me would be the ability to select 2 or more groups of images and apply different Stationary Pad info, while still downloading all the new images from the card.

Since there is no way to make two distinct selections (besides simple discontiguous selections) in a contact sheet there would be no way to do this in a single step.  You would just have to invoke two separate Ingest from Selection operations.

-Kirk