Author Topic: Render JPEGs To Be Read By Photoshop  (Read 3665 times)

Offline Shamrock

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Render JPEGs To Be Read By Photoshop
« on: February 12, 2009, 07:01:58 PM »
February 12, 2009
9:44 P.M.

Hi all,

Background:

Computer:  Mac G5  --  Dual 2.5 GHz
RAM:  4.5 GB
Mac OS:  10.5.8

Camera:  Nikon D2X
Image Format:  RAW (NEF) + JPEG fine

Issue

In the PhotoMechanic preferences, the principal default editor is selected as Capture NX for the NEF images, and Adobe Photoshop CS2 for the JPEG images.

However, when I download from the flashcard, PhotoMechanic "transfers" the JPEG images to be read by Apple Preview (not Adobe Photoshop) [although Photomechanic "transfers" the NEF images to be read by Capture NX.

What do I need to do so that PhotoMechanic

•  "transfers" the NEF images to be read by Capture NX, and

•  "transfers" the JPEG images to be read by Adobe Phososhop.

Thanks,

Just call me ………

SHAMMY

Bill Sullivan
ShamrockSullivan
a/k/a Shamrock ["Just Call Me Shammy"]
417 North Aurora Street
Ithaca, New York 14850
(607) 277-0011

MacDefense@baka.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Render JPEGs To Be Read By Photoshop
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 07:42:07 PM »
Issue

In the PhotoMechanic preferences, the principal default editor is selected as Capture NX for the NEF images, and Adobe Photoshop CS2 for the JPEG images.

However, when I download from the flashcard, PhotoMechanic "transfers" the JPEG images to be read by Apple Preview (not Adobe Photoshop) [although Photomechanic "transfers" the NEF images to be read by Capture NX.

What do I need to do so that PhotoMechanic

•  "transfers" the NEF images to be read by Capture NX, and

•  "transfers" the JPEG images to be read by Adobe Phososhop.

Use the Finder: Get Info on one of your JPEG images and use the "Open with:" section to choose your preferred editor.  Then click on the "Change all..." button.

Your preferences in Photo Mechanic have nothing to do with what the Finder uses to open particular file types.

-Kirk

Offline Shamrock

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 06:11:14 AM »
FRIDAY, February 13, 2009
8:59 A.M.

Kirk,

Thanks for the usual prompt reply.

As you can guess, in order to get the JPEGs to open in Adobe Photoshop, it has been necessary [on a post-ingest basis] to continuously (and continually) go to the "Get Info" window and designate the "open with" as Adobe Photoshop.  In this regard, I typically [I want to say "always", but "always" (like "never") is a long, long time] also click the "Change All" button.

Additionally, immediately after each download/ingesting, and before doing anything to the downloaded/ingested images [except changing the "Open with" for the JPEGs], I also click the "locked" square of both the JPEGs and the NEFs (after, of course, "selecting all" using the Mac OS).

I have several more flashcards to download.  I will "experiment" a little, and then report back.

Once again, thanks for your prompt help and assistance.

Just call me ………

SHAMMY

Bill Sullivan
ShamrockSullivan
a/k/a Shamrock ["Just Call Me Shammy"]
417 North Aurora Street
Ithaca, New York 14850
(607) 277-0011

MacDefense@baka.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 06:40:42 AM »
As you can guess, in order to get the JPEGs to open in Adobe Photoshop, it has been necessary [on a post-ingest basis] to continuously (and continually) go to the "Get Info" window and designate the "open with" as Adobe Photoshop.  In this regard, I typically [I want to say "always", but "always" (like "never") is a long, long time] also click the "Change All" button.

Additionally, immediately after each download/ingesting, and before doing anything to the downloaded/ingested images [except changing the "Open with" for the JPEGs], I also click the "locked" square of both the JPEGs and the NEFs (after, of course, "selecting all" using the Mac OS).

It sounds like something is amiss on your computer then.  On every Mac OS X system I have used, this choice only needs to be done once.

-Kirk

Offline rcohn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 10:00:39 AM »

It sounds like something is amiss on your computer then.  On every Mac OS X system I have used, this choice only needs to be done once.

-Kirk

Are you sure you clicked the "Change All" button? You might need to repeat for different flavors of JPEG files, but it should work to change the opening application for all files created by the same camera model or software. If it really doesn't work I'd guess some stuck Cache or some such. How are you on OSX system maintenance using Cocktail or similar programs?

Ric
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 10:05:21 AM by rcohn »