Author Topic: 4.6 and character encoding problem with Zenfolio uploader  (Read 12199 times)

Offline bjornh

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
4.6 and character encoding problem with Zenfolio uploader
« on: February 13, 2009, 12:33:11 PM »
Hi

I have a small problem but I'm not sure if it's possible to fix.

I run Photomechanic 4.6 beta 2 on Mac OS X 10.5. I usually use NEF-files and embed the IPTC information. I don't use XMP sidecar files..

I have chosen to use MAC Roman as IPTC encoding since that works best for the Swedish characters (åäöÅÄÖ) when using in combination Spotlight.

But the problem I have is that this doesn't really work well when using the automated Zenfolio uploader since the extra Swedish characters will be replaced with other strange characters. I have tried to change encoding and got it to work well with the uploader (don't remember what encoding I used) but then the spotlight search will not work correctly.

My question is if it's possible to automatically change the encoding when uploading or if there is any other suggestions on how to solve this.

Thanks
Björn 

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: 4.6 and character encoding problem with Zenfolio uploader
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 01:30:13 PM »
I have a small problem but I'm not sure if it's possible to fix.

I run Photomechanic 4.6 beta 2 on Mac OS X 10.5. I usually use NEF-files and embed the IPTC information. I don't use XMP sidecar files..

I have chosen to use MAC Roman as IPTC encoding since that works best for the Swedish characters (åäöÅÄÖ) when using in combination Spotlight.

But the problem I have is that this doesn't really work well when using the automated Zenfolio uploader since the extra Swedish characters will be replaced with other strange characters. I have tried to change encoding and got it to work well with the uploader (don't remember what encoding I used) but then the spotlight search will not work correctly.

My question is if it's possible to automatically change the encoding when uploading or if there is any other suggestions on how to solve this.

It sounds like an issue on the Zenfolio end of things.  You could try also embedding XMP into your NEF files which are always Unicode (UTF-8).  If Zenfolio picks up on XMP then it should work fine.

-Kirk

Offline bjornh

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 02:15:47 PM »

It sounds like an issue on the Zenfolio end of things.  You could try also embedding XMP into your NEF files which are always Unicode (UTF-8).  If Zenfolio picks up on XMP then it should work fine.

-Kirk

It's probably a problem with Zenfolio. I did some tests with XMP but I ended up with the same result.

It would be great if it was possible to solve this.

Offline bjornh

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 01:26:21 AM »
FYI

I sent a problem report to Zenfolio to see if they have any solutions. I get the same results uploading with Zenfolio's own uploader so it's a problem with how they deal with encoding of IPTC.

Offline bjornh

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 12:57:46 AM »
A small update. I have sent sample image to Zenfolio and they have confirmed that they have a problem and will try to find a solution for it as soon as possible.

Offline bjornh

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 06:31:07 AM »
Hi

I got the following answer from Zenfolio:

We had engineering look into this since the files IPTC data contains text in Mac OS Roman character set with no indication of which character set is used. There is no way we can properly decode it since the character set is not specified.

And when I asked what encoding should be used I got the following:

The best way is to use UTF-8 encoding, although any encoding is fine as long
as the software correctly specifies which encoding is used in the IPTC
block. The problem is not that we don't understand a particular encoding but
that the encoding used is not recorded in the IPTC block.

If the software is not capable of recording which encoding is used, use
ISO-8859-1 encoding.

I'm really confused. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get this to work? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Björn

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 06:46:53 AM »
Björn,

I got the following answer from Zenfolio:

We had engineering look into this since the files IPTC data contains text in Mac OS Roman character set with no indication of which character set is used. There is no way we can properly decode it since the character set is not specified.

And when I asked what encoding should be used I got the following:

The best way is to use UTF-8 encoding, although any encoding is fine as long
as the software correctly specifies which encoding is used in the IPTC
block. The problem is not that we don't understand a particular encoding but
that the encoding used is not recorded in the IPTC block.

If the software is not capable of recording which encoding is used, use
ISO-8859-1 encoding.

I'm really confused. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get this to work? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Tell PM to use Unicode when writing IPTC data.  In the IPTC/XMP tab of the Preferences dialog, there is a checkbox titled "Write IPTC as Unicode" which is the one you want to set checked.

Now when you write IPTC data it will be written and marked as Unicode.

It sounds like Zenfolio will then interpret the data correctly and your accented characters will display properly.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline bjornh

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 06:55:10 AM »
Tell PM to use Unicode when writing IPTC data.  In the IPTC/XMP tab of the Preferences dialog, there is a checkbox titled "Write IPTC as Unicode" which is the one you want to set checked.

Now when you write IPTC data it will be written and marked as Unicode.

It sounds like Zenfolio will then interpret the data correctly and your accented characters will display properly.

HTH,

-Kirk

I tried that but I can't get it to work :(

Offline bjornh

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 07:30:20 AM »
Hi

*I updated this with my latest findings*

I did some further investigation. I use NEF and have previously uploaded by directly with the uploader. But when I saved the jpg-file (used NEF JPEG preview), edited and saved the IPTC (as unicode) and then uploaded the file to Zenfolio I got the correct characters. (I need to edit the jpg before uploading or I get strange characters)

Btw, it looks like it's no longer (4.6.1b) possible to create a new Zenfolio gallery by entering a new name. I believe this was working in 4.6
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 07:47:23 AM by bjornh »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 07:59:22 AM »

I did some further investigation. I use NEF and have previously uploaded by directly with the uploader. But when I saved the jpg-file (used NEF JPEG preview), edited and saved the IPTC (as unicode) and then uploaded the file to Zenfolio I got the correct characters. (I need to edit the jpg before uploading or I get strange characters)

Or you could apply an IPTC Stationery Pad which just updated some unused field and that would re-encode it.

Quote from: bjornh
Btw, it looks like it's no longer (4.6.1b) possible to create a new Zenfolio gallery by entering a new name. I believe this was working in 4.6

Thanks, I'll look into that.

-Kirk

Offline bjornh

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009, 08:03:30 AM »

Or you could apply an IPTC Stationery Pad which just updated some unused field and that would re-encode it.

But I need to do it two steps. I would like to use the uploader directly on the NEF-files but it looks like i don't get the IPTC in unicode then.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2009, 08:09:49 AM »

But I need to do it two steps. I would like to use the uploader directly on the NEF-files but it looks like i don't get the IPTC in unicode then.

Apply the IPTC Stationery Pad in the Uploader.  Then it is still one step.

-Kirk

Offline bjornh

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2009, 08:14:20 AM »

-Kirk

Doesn't work :(

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2009, 08:21:51 AM »

-Kirk

What are you applying in the IPTC Stationery Pad?

-Kirk

Offline bjornh

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2009, 08:47:38 AM »

-Kirk

What are you applying in the IPTC Stationery Pad?

-Kirk

Tried both with an empty locationfield as well as the copyright field (containing my name)