Author Topic: Brand New to PM - Have questions  (Read 3100 times)

Offline ornate_wrasse

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Brand New to PM - Have questions
« on: February 18, 2009, 01:34:34 PM »
The first thing I'd like to try is to use PM to upload my images.  As I understand it, the Ingest function is used for this purpose.  When I uploaded previously, I used Nikon Transfer.  I would plug in the card reader using the USB port and the images would come off the card and be viewable.  How do I make sure the images now go to PM instead of Nikon Transfer?

Is there a way to make sure that the copyright symbol, the year and my name appear on my images as they are uploaded?  If so, how do I do that?

I heard something about the newer version (I downloaded beta 4.6) being able to send images to Gallery?  Is this true and how do I do that?

Lastly, what are the advantages and disadvantages of paying $15 less for the version before the new one is released?  Will I be able to get 4.6 for the reduced price or is the reduced price for the version previous to 4.6?

I am on trial until 2/20/09 so I expect I'll have more questions as I try to use it more.  Do you have a general guide for new users that you recommend?

Thanks.

Ellen

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Brand New to PM - Have questions
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 02:20:50 PM »
Ellen,

The first thing I'd like to try is to use PM to upload my images.  As I understand it, the Ingest function is used for this purpose.  When I uploaded previously, I used Nikon Transfer.  I would plug in the card reader using the USB port and the images would come off the card and be viewable.  How do I make sure the images now go to PM instead of Nikon Transfer?

You didn't mention which OS you run.  The instructions are different depending on the OS.  What OS are you running?

Quote from: ornate_wrasse
Is there a way to make sure that the copyright symbol, the year and my name appear on my images as they are uploaded?  If so, how do I do that?

By 'on my images' do you mean that you want a watermark on your images as they are downloaded, or do you just want this information to appear in each photo's metadata?

I heard something about the newer version (I downloaded beta 4.6) being able to send images to Gallery?  Is this true and how do I do that?

Gallery2, yes.  You would use the Upload dialog and choose the Gallery2 template.  Then you would have to create a 'Connection Setting' for your Gallery2 login.

Lastly, what are the advantages and disadvantages of paying $15 less for the version before the new one is released?  Will I be able to get 4.6 for the reduced price or is the reduced price for the version previous to 4.6?

By purchasing it now, you get 4.5.x now and 4.6 when it is released, and you get to save $15.00.

I am on trial until 2/20/09 so I expect I'll have more questions as I try to use it more.  Do you have a general guide for new users that you recommend?

I recommend downloading the full 4.5 manual from our website:

http://camerabits.fileburst.com/Photo_Mechanic_4.5.3_Manual.pdf

-Kirk

Offline ornate_wrasse

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 07:55:59 PM »

You didn't mention which OS you run.  The instructions are different depending on the OS.  What OS are you running?

I'm running a Mac OSX Version 10.4.11

By 'on my images' do you mean that you want a watermark on your images as they are downloaded, or do you just want this information to appear in each photo's metadata?

I want to be able to see the copyright symbol, year and my name on the image.  For example, when I post the image on the web, I want the information to be visible to others. 

Gallery2, yes.  You would use the Upload dialog and choose the Gallery2 template.  Then you would have to create a 'Connection Setting' for your Gallery2 login.

I'll have to check and see which version of Gallery I have.  If it's not Gallery2, guess that means I will upgrade to version 2.  Thanks!

By purchasing it now, you get 4.5.x now and 4.6 when it is released, and you get to save $15.00.

Thanks.

I recommend downloading the full 4.5 manual from our website:

http://camerabits.fileburst.com/Photo_Mechanic_4.5.3_Manual.pdf

Thank you so much for your help.

Ellen

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 09:26:51 PM »
Ellen,

I'm running a Mac OSX Version 10.4.11

Open up the Photo Mechanic Preferences dialog.  Click on the Launching tab.  Click on the "Set" button.

I want to be able to see the copyright symbol, year and my name on the image.  For example, when I post the image on the web, I want the information to be visible to others. 

You'll have to use a Watermark with one of the Save/Export functions.  You can use the Save As dialog, check the Watermarking checkbox, and then click on the Watermarking button.  Enter the following as your text:

© {year4} your name

Then choose a position, colors, etc.

-Kirk

Offline ornate_wrasse

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 12:41:32 PM »
Thanks!

Ellen